Department of Economics
Faculty of Economic Sciences
Platz der Göttinger Sieben 3
Oeconomicum, 2nd floor
Tel. +49 (0)551 / 39-7837
When beginning your studies
Examination and programme regulations
Finding Friends in Göttingen
Why study Development Economics at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen?
Development economics is one of the focal areas of the university which forms the backdrop for the new degree programme in development economics. As of 2011, the University of Göttingen is offering the internationally oriented Master's programme in Development Economics. The course of study at the Faculty of Economics is accredited by the Central Evaluation and Accreditation Agency (ZEvA), member of the European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ENQA).
We highlight some of the particularly attractive features of the new degree programme:
Development Economics in Göttingen – An especially attractive course of study:
The programme is the only university-level Master's programme in development economics in Germany. It builds on successful degree programmes and research groups in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development as well as the Department of Economics. It offers a specialization in economics or agricultural economics and each of these concentrations offers a broad spectrum of courses. A semester abroad and a many different offered languages round off the programme.
Twelve professors and associated research groups from the Department of Economics and the Department of Agricultural Economics contribute to the courses of study. These groups ensure that the University of Göttingen has the largest concentration of internationally visible researchers in the field of development economics in Germany. The Courant Research Centre “Poverty, Equity and Growth in Developing Countries: Statistical Methods and Empirical Analyses”, including another three professors and associated research groups, further adds to the research and teaching capacity on development in Göttingen.
All courses will be held in English in order to specifically prepare students for scientific and international work. A broad course programme will be available.
The obligatory semester abroad can be done at excellent universities in Europe/ Russia, USA, Latin America, South Africa, Indonesia, China and Australia. Students can choose from about 65 European universities within the framework of the ERASMUS programme. Into the bargain, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) supports the exchange programmes with Russia, China and South Africa with additional scholarships. Those who went abroad during their BA, did their undergraduate degree outside of Germany, or will do fieldwork for their Master dissertation abroad, are exempt from this requirement.
- Studies abroad and internships abroad
- Every semester two to three international guest professors participate in the master's programme, expanding the courses offered in regards to content as well as the courses offered in the English language.
- The successful degree "Master of Arts" (M.A.) offers students excellent occupational possibilities, mainly with international organisations, in research institutes, in institutions of development cooperation as well as in the private sector (mainly in associations, in management consulting, in the financial sector, in large and internationally-oriented companies). At the same time, the master's degree offers an excellent starting point for continuing on with scientific in-depth studies in doctoral programmes at universities in Germany and abroad. The University of Göttingen itself has a Ph.D. programme related to development economics issues.
- The conditions of study for Economics in Göttingen are ranked at the top in Germany. This includes the modern infrastructure with WLAN campus-wide, learning platforms and E-learning, and high-quality equipment in the seminar rooms and the modern sectional library for the Economic and Social Sciences as well as the State Library of Lower Saxons (SUB) as one of the largest five scientific libraries in Germany. These excellent conditions for studying have been confirmed in the so-called CHE university ranking [in German].
- There are also excellent developments in research: The Göttingen economists belong to the greatest achievers in the “Handelsblatt” ranking, which evaluates research performance. The Centre for European, Governance and Economic Development (cege) regularly offers research colloquiums, symposiums and workshops at the Faculty of Economics. These are also open to students of the master's programmes who are interested in research.
- The tuition fees are, by international standards, very moderate (500 Euro per semester plus some administrative fees), and are used to continually improve the studying conditions. At the Faculty of Economics, the decentralized tuition fees are used in many ways to improve teaching and supervision. Individual measures that have taken place so far fall under the following nine categories:
- Student counselling
- Tutor programmes
- Mathematics training
- Language courses
- Guest professors
- Expansion of the exercise and teaching offers
- Incentive Systems
- Göttingen is one of the most attractive university cities in Germany. Approximately one fourth of the population of 116,000 (currently more than 26,000 students live here) studies here and enjoys the international flair and the cultural diversity of the youthful city, rich in tradition, and located in the middle of Germany. Göttingen also offers cinemas, sports and cultural associations as well as beautiful surroundings. Numerous street cafes, pubs, discos, and student parties in the foyer of the main lecture hall provides Göttingen with a vibrant nightlife. For those that enjoy sports, the University sports centre offers more than 80 sports, and is one of the largest sports providers in southern Lower Saxony. Göttingen is also relatively inexpensive, offering students the benefit of a low cost of living.