Information on application and admission procedures of the Master’s programme in Development Economics
Current information due to the Corona pandemic:
Due to outstanding university decisions, the application deadline for the Master's programmes of the Faculty of Business and Economics for the winter semester 2020/2021 will probably be postponed to 1 May 2020. The end of the application period is set at 15 June 2020. Further information will be published on this website as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding!
On this website you will find detailed information on the application periods, application form (made available only during application periods), required application documents, admission requirements and admission procedures as well as the selection criteria. If you have any additional questions that are not addressed here, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Please note that as an EPOS scholarship holder you can only start the programme in the winter term (October) of each year and applications are only possible from October 1 through November 15 of the previous year. Please see here for further information.
- Application period for studies beginning in the winter semester: April 1 to May 15 of the same calendar year
- Application period for studies beginning in the summer semester: October 1 to November 15 of the previous calendar year
- The application for the double degree programmes with Stellenbosch and Florence is only possible from April 1 to May 15th (for a start in the winter term). Please note that you can not apply for the double degree programmes during the application period from October 1 to November 15th.
- The online application form is only availabe during application periods!
- Please make sure that the complete application documents have reached the Service Center of the faculty by May 15 and November 15, respectively. A postmark of the deadline will not suffice – as the documents must be physically received by the deadline.
- A course of study of at least 6 semesters in length with a Bachelor's degree comprising at least 180 ECTS credits in the subject of Economics or a closely related subject.
- Verification of at least 150 of the 180 ECTS credits is required at the time of application (83% of your overall credits for programmes with any other structure)
- Academic achievement in Economics and/ or Agricultural Economics and/ or Econometrics totalling at least 60 ECTS credits (as measured for a 180 ECTS bachelor's programme; for any other programme types at least one third of overall courses taken), including courses in Economic Theory, Agricultural Economics, and Development Economics totalling at least 30 ECTS credits altogether.
- As part of fulfilling the minimum of 30 ECTS course requirements in Economic Theory, Agricultural Economics, and Development Economics:
- A minimum of 18 ECTS must be from modules with intermediate or high scientific level. For courses to be considered intermediate or advanced, the course content must clearly go beyond introductory or basic concepts.
- Academic achievement in Mathematics or Statistics or Econometrics (in addition to the courses possibly counted above) totalling at least 12 ECTS credits (or 7% of overall credits for other structures).
Proof of relevant language skills
- For a list of accepted language certificates, see: "Required application documents" Please note that we can only accept one of the listed certificates and that your proof of language proficiency has to reach us either together with your remaining application material or, if sent separately, it still needs to be received within the application deadline.
Please pay attention to the following details
- We do not confirm document receipt nor check application material for completeness prior to the admission process. Please refrain from asking for application receipt confirmation.
- Your application documents have to remain with the University of Göttingen and will not be sent back to you, regardless of success or rejection of your application.
- The determination of the relevancy of previous studies is based on the documents enclosed in the application. Please submit documents that verify special knowledge for the selected course of study (syllabi e.g.), if not already evident from your transcript of records. This does not apply to Bachelor degree holders of the Faculty of Business and Economics of the University of Göttingen.
- Unless needed as part of an EPOS scholarship application, please do not enclose any letters of recommendation. They will not be evaluated and will only slow down the admission process on our end and make it more costly for you to post your documents!
Selection procedures and criteria
- The selection process is a two-stage process. The initial selection round will evaluate candidates based on their written application. The second round will evaluate candidates based on personal interviews.
- The following points are evaluated in the pre-selection procedure:
The overall grade of the degree on which application is based upon. In addition, special knowledge and abilities in those fields that specially qualify the applicant for the Master's programme (for example, special knowledge in the areas of Economics), documented by a corresponding specialisation respectively performance in the programme, on which application is based upon.