Balasubramanian, Gopalakrishnan, Dr.
- 1998 - 2005 Research Scholar, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- 2005 -2006 Postdoctoral fellow, Physikalisches Institute, Universitaet Karlsruhe, Germany
- 2006 - 2010 Senior Postdoctoral fellow , 3. Physikalisches Institute, Universität Stuttgart, Germany
- since 2011 Max-Planck Research Group Leader, Max-Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Göttingen, Germany
Major Research Interests
Nitrogen-Vacancy (NV) center is a unique defect in diamond lattice that has astounding properties. The single spins associated with the defect can be optically polarized, manipulated and read-out. To date these defects hold the record for the longest spin coherence time in solidstate spin system at room temperature. These remarkable properties make NV center a unique atom sized, optically readable, ultra-precision magnetic field sensor. The research focus is directed towards developing nanoscale diamond sensor for bio-molecular applications. The experimentally achieved sensitivities using single NV centers have shown to reach few nT/√Hz.
The magnitude of magnetic field and the fluctuations caused by a single electron spin or a few nuclear spins exceeds these values at nanoscopic proximities. The NV sensor has the ability to map the spin density and strength giving an idea about the molecular structure and assembly of biomolecular complexes. A molecular structure microscope using NV center holds potentials to emerge as a method for structure elucidation of single biomolecules reaching atomic resolutions.
Homepage Department/Research Group
Selected Recent Publications
- P. Neumann, R. Kolesov, B. Naydenov, J. Beck, F. Rempp, M. Steiner, V. Jacques, G. Balasubramanian, M. L. Markham, D. J. Twitchen, S. Pezzagna, J. Meijer, J. Twamley, F. Jelezko and J. Wrachtrup (2010) Quantum register based on coupled electron spins in a room-temperature solid. Nature Physics 6, 249-253
- J.Tisler, G. Balasubramanian, B.Naydenov, R.Kolesov, B.Grotz, R.Reuter, J.Boudou, P.Curmi, M.Sennour, A.Thorel, M.Börsch, K.Aulenbacher, R.Erdmann, P.R.Hemmer, F.Jelezko, and J.Wrachtrup (2009) Fluorescence and Spin Properties of Defects in Single Digit Nanodiamonds. ACS Nano 3, 1959
- R.Kolesov, B.Grotz, G. Balasubramanian, R.Stöhr, A.Nicolet, P.Hemmer, F.Jelezko and J.Wrachtrup (2009) Wave-particle duality of single surface plasmon polaritons. Nature Physics 5, 470-474
- G. Balasubramanian, P.Neumann, D.Twitchen, M.Markham, R.Kolesov, N.Mizuoschi, J.Isoya, J.Achard, J.Beck, J.Tisler, V.Jacques, P.R. Hemmer, F.Jelezko and J.Wrachtrup (2009) Ultralong spin coherence time in isotopically engineered diamond. Nature Materials 8, 383-387
- G. Balasubramanian, I.Y.Chan, R.Kolesov, M.Al-Hmoud, J.Tisler, C.Shin, C.Kim, A.Wojcik, P.R.Hemmer, A.Krueger, T.Hanke, A.Leitenstorfer, R.Bratschitsch, F.Jelezko and J.Wrachtrup (2008) Nanoscale imaging magnetometry with diamond spins under ambient conditions. Nature 455, 648-651