Date and Place of birth
San Jose – Costa Rica, February 14th, 1979
- 2007-current date: Doctoral candidate. Agro economy and Rural Development. Georg August University of Goettingen, Germany
- 2002 – Aug, 2005: Master’s degree in Economics with an emphasis in Banking and Capital Marketing. University of Costa Rica
- 1997 – 2001: Bachelor in Economics. University of Costa Rica.
- 2006 current date: Member of the Resercher Team, Posgrado en Economía – Centro Centroamericano de Población Member of the Researcher Team, Economics Graduate Program and Centro Centroamericano de Población (www.ccp.ucr.ac.cr).
- 2000 – 2007: Professor of economic database usage and statistics for third-year undergraduate students. University of Costa Rica. Splitting the course, I taught the half which showed the students how to manage databases using tools, such as office and various statistical and economic programs.
- 2000 – 2007: Research assistant for Post-graduate students. University of Costa Rica. I assisted the Director of Post-graduate Economics and the Director of Economic Research with the following topics: Nutrition, Health Economics, and National Banking. I established an excel grid to assist the Director in making decisions for the macroeconomic model of Costa Rica.
- 2000 – 2007:Private tutor. I provided private classes in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Office and other statistical programs.
- Jan. – Ap., 2005: Editing collaborator for the book, “The Formation of Economists: A series of essays in honor of Pepita Echandi.” Post-graduate in Economics, University of Costa Rica, San Jose
- 2000 – 2003: Assistant to the Director of Post-graduate work in Economics. I provided classes to Post-graduate students as a tutor in the introductory courses of Microeconomics and Statistics.
- 2000 – 2003: Professor of Statistical Programs for professional post-graduate students of Economics. University of Costa Rica. I taught basic statistics and econometrics using tools such as Office and other statistical programs to post-graduate students of Health Economics, and Banking and Capital Marketing, who where very unfamiliar with such topics. I was very successful in that my students were able to utilize these tools quite well by the end of the course
- 2002 – 2007: Post- graduate in Economics Counselor. University of Costa Rica. I coordinated a team of five people of which I have the responsibility to be their financial administrator, their guidance counselor in their courses, and offer them general help and attention. Furthermore, I organize expositions, seminars, conferences, and open courses on both the national and international level.
- I was invited like to the 27th International Association of Agricultural Economists (IAAE) Conference Beijing, China 16-22 August 2009.
- I was invited like to the annual meeting AES (Asiación de Economía de la Salud) 2007, AES 2008 and AES 2009.
- For two consecutive years, I have been invited by the United Nations to the meetings for experts in the LINK project. The first meeting was held in New York, United States in March of 2004, and the second was in Mexico D.F. in March of 2005.
- I was invited to the annual meeting of the Latin American and Caribbean Economic Association (LACEA) once in November of 2003 in Puebla, Mexico and again in November of 2004 in San Jose, Costa Rica. In addition, in 2004, I was a member of the Meeting Organization Committee of LACEA in Costa Rica, in which I collaborated on the financial management of the activity.
- I was one of 12 Costa Rican students chosen to attend the Meeting of the Econometrics Society, which took place in Panama City in August of 2003.
Scientific papers, publications and presentations
- “Regional differences in the prevalent of the consumption of allopathic medicines in the adult Costa Rican population”. Hernández-Villafuerte, Karla et. al. IV Health Economics Annual Meeting Salamanca, Spain May 2008.
- “Healthy habits of life and his relation with the perception of health and the state of health in the adult Costa Rican population”. -Villafuerte, Karla et. al. IV Health Economics Annual Meeting Salamanca, Spain May 2008
- “Loss of monopsonic power on the CCSS in the purchase of medicines”. Karla Hernández, Yanira Xirinachs and Juan Rafael Vargas. IV Health Economics Annual Meeting Spain, June 2007. Special edition of Gaseta Sanitaria June, 2007.
- “Evolution of the consumption and Antineoplasic pharmaceutical expense across official recipe of the Costa Rican Public Health System (2001-2005)”. Karla Hernández, Yanira Xirinachs and Juan Rafael Vargas. IV Health Economics Annual Meeting Spain, June 2007. Special edition of Gaseta Sanitaria June, 2007.en Gaseta Sanitaria Edición Especial 2007.
- “Qualit measure of life related to the health Costa Rica 2006”. Hernández-Villafuerte, Karla et. al. Decimotercer Informe Estado de la Nacion en Desarrollo Humano Sostenible, San José Costa Rica, 2007. http://www.estadonacion.or.cr/Info2007/Ponencias/Equidad/Hernandez-2007.pdf
- “Determinantes y diferencias de salud entre las regiones de Costa Rica” Población y Salud en Mesoamérica (2008) (ISSN-16590201)
- “Factores Relacionados a la Utilización de Servicios de Salud en Costa Rica“. Journal of Public Health (2008) (ISSN 0124-0064)
- “Asymmetric Price Transmission and Structural Breaks in the Relationship between Costa Rican Markets of Livestock Cattle, Beef and Milk”. The Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. (2010) (ISSN 1939-1250,USA)
- “Price transmission in Latin American maize and rice markets”. Working Paper. (2010). The complete version of the work can be finding in: http://decon.edu.uy/eventos/hipertexto/PAPERS/13-%20price_transmissin.pdf
- “Relation between the Spatial Prices Transmission and the Geographic Distance: The Case of Brazil”. Currently in preparation.
- Juan Rafael Vargas. Post-graduate director of Economics, Professor in the school of Economics, Leader of the Economics and Society project. 207-5341. jrvargas(at)cariari.ucr.ac.cr
- Javier Cascante Elizondo. Retirement Superintendent. 243-4441/243-4400. cascanteej(at)supen.fi.cr
- Rodrigo Matarrita Venegas. Director of FUNDEVAL, National Stock Market. 204-4838/396-6317. rmatarrit(at)bnv.co.cr