Jobs / PhD positions
PhD positions*** 12 PhD positions: Starting date: 1 April 2018 ***
The Georg-August-Universität Göttingen and the Leibniz Universität Hannover offer a PhD program in Development/ International Economics to outstanding young graduates.
12 Doctoral Researchers in Economics with the Focus on Development and International Economics
will have the possibility to join the Research Training Group (RTG) “Globalization and Development” (GLAD) funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). The positions should be filled by 1 April 2018. The regular working hours will be 65% (currently 25.87 hours per week) with a limited contract of three years. The salary is in accordance with the German public service salary scale E13 TVL (65%). These are qualification positions for junior researchers pursuing a PhD degree.
The RTG will carry out research on globalization and development by approaching these issues through combining macro-oriented globalization research with development research focused on the micro-level. It will analyze the impact of globalization – measured as flows of capital, labor and technology – on individuals or households in developing countries. Projects within the RTG will particularly analyze the transmission mechanisms between globalization and development for individuals, examine the adaptation of households and institutions in developing countries to globalization and address the question how household’s responses to globalization interact with the globalization process itself. Methods to be used are innovative econometric, experimental, and theoretical approaches.
The program offers an integrated training which contains a structured course program, a visiting and guest researcher program with leading academics and practical experience through field visits and participation in international conferences. The extensive supervising scheme provides guidance throughout the program.
To qualify for the positions, applicants must hold an outstanding degree (master, diploma or magister level) in economics or a related discipline with a specialization in development or international economics, agricultural economics, economic geography or other related disciplines. Further qualifications are strong analytical skills, a strong quantitative background, proven interest in topics related to the RTG, strong computer skills and very good English language skills.
The positions will be based in Göttingen and Hannover, but will require international travel for research visits, data collection, internships and research exchange. As part of our work-life-balance strategy, financial support for childcare costs during travel is possible.
As equal opportunities employers, the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen and the Leibniz Universität Hannover place particular emphasis on fostering career opportunities for women. Qualified women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply in fields in which they are underrepresented. The mission of the Universities is to employ a greater number of severely disabled persons. Applications from severely disabled persons with equivalent qualifications will be given preference. The universities have committed themselves to being a family-friendly institution and support their employees in balancing work and family life.
Screening of applications will begin on 9 October 2017 and will end when the positions are filled.
Applicants should apply online using the link below. There applicants will be prompted to fill out an application form, upload their academic degrees and proofs of English language proficiency (e.g. TOEFL or similar tests), a CV, a motivation statement (two pages), a writing sample, and the addresses of two academic references.
Applications are only possible using the Online Application Portal:
The following 8 pdf documents are required to be uploaded:
- Motivation letter (2 pages), indicating your specific interest in the RTG and highlighting your personal strengths for the respective position.
- Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications and experience with statistical software.
- Full academic record (Certificates + Transcripts for Bachelor and Master degrees, or equivalent). Provide a copy of the original documents and an English translation if documents are not in English or German. If Master program is still ongoing, provide a recent overview of grades obtained so far.
- Certificate and Transcript of record of final secondary-school examination (A-Level, Abitur, European Baccalaureate or equivalent).
- Proof of English language skills: certificate (if language of instruction at university was other than English). The University accepts the following proofs:
www.uni-goettingen.de/en/107150.html. If language of instruction at university was English, provide a simple explanation (referring to the Academic Transcripts).
- Abstract (1 page) of last thesis written (Bachelor or Master, or equivalent), including thesis title.
- One recent writing sample (for example working paper, full Master thesis).
- Names and full contact details (incl. phone and email) of two academic reference persons.
Please name the documents in the following way (using your own surname and first name):
- All uploaded documents should be pdf files. Each document should not be larger than 10 MB, all documents together should not exceed 80 MB.
- In order to access the online application you need to accept the Security-Certificate edited by DFN (Deutsches Forschungs-Netz) using the Deutsche Telekom Root Certificate.
- Some browsers delete all entries after using the back-to-form-button. Please ensure that all data are preserved before sending the data. This also holds for the upload areas.
- If the application process is interrupted for any reason, all data will be lost and a new application must be filled.
- After an application has been submitted, changes are no longer possible.
Student assistants*** Proof reader ***
The RTG 1723 Globalization and Development is currently looking for new student assistants for support on proof reading. The position would consist of 20 hours/month and hourly pay according to standard wage. The deadline for applications is September 11, 2017.
Please take a look to the job opening for more information and applying instructions.