Susann Köhler, M.A.
- History and Theory of Photography
- The Post-Industrial City, Urban Studies
- Cultural Memory Studies
- US-American Literature of the 20th Century
- Presence and Tacit Knowledge in American Literature and Culture
Current Project (Ph.D.)
US-American Ruins: Aesthetics, Memory, and Urban Decay in (Post-)Industrial Photography
|since 04/2015||Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin/Assistant Professor, English Department/American Studies, University of Göttingen|
Scholarship / Research Group "Präsenz und implizites Wissen", DFG Graduiertenkolleg 1718, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nuernberg
|2011||Magister Artium (M.A.)|
Theater and Media Studies & American Literary and Cultural Studies; Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuernberg
- "'Still Standing Like Timeless Islands’: The Presence of Postindustrial Spaces in The Ruins of Detroit (2010)." (Extra-)Ordinary Presence: Social Configurations and Cultural Repertoires. Eds. Markus Gottwald, Kay Kirchmann, and Heike Paul. Bielefeld: transcript, 2017. 121-34.
- "Growing Food and Justice in Detroit: Urban Gardens, Social Activism, and the Use of New Media." America: Justice, Conflict, War. Eds. Amanda Gilroy and Marietta Messmer. Heidelberg: Winter, 2016. 231-46.
- "'He saw the region in terms of images': Barry Goldwater and the American Southwest."Research Colloquium American Studies, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, July 04, 2017.
- "Breakfast at Tiffany: Truman Capote und konservative Kultur in den USA."Frühstück bei Tiffany", Theatertagung Evangelische Akademie Hofgeismar, March 24-26, 2017.
- "Barry Goldwater and the Conservative Picture of the West." International Conference "Cultures of U.S.-American Conservatism"; Georg-August-University Göttingen, February 09-12, 2017.
- "After the Flood: Hurricane Katrina and the Politics of Ruin Photography." Annual Conference of the German Association for American Studies "America After Nature: Democracy, Culture, Environment"; Workshop: Disaster Discourses (Wuerzburg, June 12-15, 2014).
- "Growing Food and Justice: The Media Portrayal of Detroit's Urban Gardens." EAAS 60th Anniversary Conference "America: Justice, Conflict, War"; Workshop: Street Justice - Activist Urban Cultures of the 21st Century (The Hague, Netherlands, April 3-6, 2014).
- "'A State of Paradoxical Sleep': Post-Industrial Landscapes and the Narrative of Loss in The Ruins of Detroit (2010)." Guest Lecture. American Studies Department University of Regensburg (Regensburg, December 5, 2013).
- "Images of US-American Ruins: Contemporary Aesthetics and Memory in Photography." Fifth International Summer Academy of the BAA "American Studies in a Transatlantic Perspective: Critical Regionalism in Politics and Culture" (Munich/Nuernberg, May 20 - June 3, 2013).
- "Places of Dereliction and Decay: US-American Ruins in Contemporary Photography." Postgraduate Forum (PGF) of the German Association for American Studies (Marburg, Nov 2-4, 2012).
- International Conference "Cultures of U.S.-American Conservatism," February 09-12, 2017, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen (organized in cooperation with Andrew S. Gross)
- Student Forum, International Conference "Surveillance/Society/Culture," February 26-28, 2016, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen (organized in cooperation with Marleen Knipping)
- Working-Class Literature in the U.S. (Proseminar, WiSe 17/18)
- Advanced Cultural History and Rhetoric: Industrial America (SoSe 17)
- Advanced Cultural History and Rhetoric: American Conservatism (WS 16/17)
- 1930s America in Fiction and Photography (Proseminar, SoSe 16)
- 20th Century American Drama (Proseminar, WS 2015/16)
- Ruin Photography and the Post-Industrial City (Proseminar, SoSe 15) Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuernberg
- Introduction to American Photography (WS 2013/14)
Talks and Conference Papers
University of Goettingen