Stegmüller, Judith, Dr.
Group leader, MPI for Experimental Medicinesince 2008: Independent group leader at the Max-Planck-Institute of Experimental Medicine, Goettingen, Germany
2003 - 2008: Postdoc, Harvard Medical School, Boston/USA
2002: Ph.D. University of Heidelberg
1998: Diploma, University of Heidelberg
Major Research Interests
Growing evidence implicates intrinsic mechanisms such as the ubiquitin proteasome systems (UPS) in brain development and disease. Our focus lies on the role of the UPS in axon growth and regeneration. We are particularly interested how E3 ubiquitin ligases regulate these processes. To further enhance our understanding of the UPS in the central nervous system, we are also seeking to identify novel brain-specific E3 ligases and to determine their role in various aspects of neuronal development.
To address these research objectives, we apply molecular and cell biological and biochemical techniques. We also use mouse models to gain comprehensive insight into the ligases of interest and to complement in vitro studies with meaningful in vivo experiments.
Homepage Department/Research Group
Selected Recent Publications
- Holubowska A, Mukherjee C, Vadhvani M, Stegmüller J (2013) Genetic manipulation of cerebellar granule neurons in vitro and in vivo to study neuronal morphology and migration. JoVE, in press
- Vadhvani M, Schwedhelm-Domeyer N, Mukherjee C, Stegmüller J (2013) The centrosomal E3 ligase FBXO31-SCF regulates neuronal morphogenesis and migration. PLoS ONE, 8(2), e57530
- Kannan M, Lee SJ, Schwedhelm-Domeyer N, Nakazawa T, Stegmüller J (2012) p250GAP is a novel player in the Cdh1-APC/Smurf1 pathway of axon growth regulation. PLoS ONE, 7(11), e50735
- Kannan M, Lee SJ, Schwedhelm-Domeyer N, Stegmüller J (2012) The E3 ligase Cdh1-Anaphase Promoting Complex operates upstream of the E3 ligase Smurf1 in axon growth control. Development, 139(19), 3600-12
- Stegmüller J, Huynh MA, Yuan Z, Konishi Y, Bonni A (2008) TGFbeta-Smad2 signaling regulates the Cdh1-APC/SnoN pathway of axonal morphogenesis. J Neurosci. Feb 20;28(8):1961-9
- Stegmüller J, Konishi Y, Huynh MA, Yuan Z, Dibacco S, Bonni A (2006) Cell-intrinsic regulation of axonal morphogenesis by the Cdh1-APC target SnoN, Neuron 50(3), 389-400
- Lasorella A, Stegmüller J, Rothschild G, Gardavaccaro D, de la Torre-Ubieta L, Pagano M, Bonni A, Iavarone A (2006) Degradation of Id2 by the anaphase promoting complex couples control of cell cycle exit and axonal growth, Nature 442(7101), 471-4
- Stegmüller J, Bonni A (2005) Moving past proliferation: new roles for Cdh1-APC in postmitotic neurons, Trends Neurosci. 28(11): 596-601
- Konishi Y, Stegmüller J, Mastuda T, Bonni S, Bonni A (2004) Cdh1-APC controls axonal outgrowth and patterning in the mammalian brain, Science Feb13;303(5660):1026-30