Faculty of Business and Economics

Possibilities to finance a stay abroad

To finance a stay abroad, one of the possibilities is to apply at one of the following institutions. Most of the scholarships for students are organized by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

  • German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
    Internet: www.daad.de

  • Foreign BAföG
    Another important funding possibility is foreign BAföG. Students have the possibility to receive this funding even they are not entitled to inland BAföG. Within the framework of foreign BAföG, tuition fees of up to
    € 4.600 per year of study are reimbursed. In addition, students may apply for travel expenses and a health insurance allowance as well as a foreign allowance when staying outside of the EU. Funding of stays abroad does not need to be paid back.

    Further information on foreign BAföG is found at www.das-neue-bafoeg.de.

  • Educational loan for a stay abroad
    Since April 1, 2001 and in addition to BAföG, student can apply to the Bundesverwaltungsamt (Federal Office of Administration) in 50728 Cologne for an educational loan for stays abroad. For more information, please call: 0221/7584492 and visit the following websites:


  • USA scholarships given by the Fulbright Commission
    Internet: www.fulbright.de

  • Index of German Foundations
    Internet: www.stiftungsindex.de