Publications of Dr. Jovan Maud
- The Sacred Borderland: A Buddhist Saint, the State, and Transnational Religion in Southern Thailand. Doctoral dissertation, Macquarie University. (Awarded Vice Chancellor's commendation for excellence in postgraduate research.)
Journal articlesunder review
- (with Marta Domingez). 'Introduction: Religion and Borders'. Journal of Contemporary Religion.
- 'The Bodhisattva and the Borderland: A Buddhist Saint and the Two Bodies of the Thai Nation'. Journal of Contemporary Religion.
- Review essay: Monks and Magic by Barend J. Terwiel. Journal of the Siam Society 101, 243-249.
Contributions to edited volumes2017
- forthcoming. 'Ok Baytong'. In Thai Cinema: A Complete Guide, edited by Katarzyna Ancuta and Mary Ainslie. London: I.B. Tauris.
- 'Buddhist Relics and Pilgrimage.' In The Oxford Handbook of Contemporary Buddhism, edited by Michael Jerryson. Oxford University Press.
- 'New Routes for the Venerable Ancestor: A Growth Triangle, the Border, and an Emergent Sacred Landscape in the Thai-Malay Borderland'. In Religion, Place and Modernity in East and Southeast Asia, edited by Michael Dickhardt and Andrea Lauser, 247-69. Leiden: Brill.
- 'El Turismo Religioso Transfronterizo Y La Formación Del Estado En El Sur de Tailandia'. In La Antropología de Las Fronteras de Tailandia Como Espacios de Flujo, edited by John Amos Marston, 185-215. México, CDMX: El Colegio de México.
- Mary Douglas: Purity and Danger [Reinheit und Gefährdung], in: Salzborn, S. (Ed.), Klassiker der Sozialwissenschaften: 100 Schlüsselwerke im Portrait. Springer VS, Wiesbaden, pp. 214-218.
- “Fire and Water: Ritual innovation, tourism, and spontaneous religiosity in Hat Yai, southern Thailand”. In Articulations with Modernity: Revived Religion and Cultural Crisis in Southeast Asia, edited by T. Reuter and A. Horstmann, pp.269-296. Leiden: Brill.
- Sacred Tourism and the State: Some Paradoxes of Cross-border Religious Patronage in Southern Thailand In Pilgrimage in an Age of Globalisation, edited by N. Hyndman-Rizik, pp. 93-119. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Press.
- "The Nine Emperor Gods on the Border: Transnational Culture, Alternate Modes of Practice, and the Expansion of the “Vegetarian Festival” in Hat Yai," in Dynamic Diversity in Southern Thailand. Edited by Wattana Sugannaasil, pp. 153-178, University of Washington Press.
- fReview of Becoming Bodhisattvas: Practices and the Popular Discourse of Kuan-Yin in Kuala Lumpur. Dissertation Reviews. http://dissertationreviews.org/archives/8373
- fSacred Tourism and the State: Some Paradoxes of Cross-border Religious Patronage in Southern Thailand. Working paper. Göttingen: Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity. http://www.mmg.mpg.de/en/publications/working-papers/2011/wp-11-04/
Selected lectures and conference presentations2017
- 'The Bodhisattva in the Borderland: A Buddhist Saint and the Phantom Limbs of the Thai Nation'. Paper presented at the Anthropologie comparée du bouddhisme: Importance et contestations de la matérialité, CNRS/EHESS, Paris, January 13, 2017.
- '(Re)mediating Ritual in Thailand: Immediacy and Hypermediacy in Digital Religious Practice'. Paper presented at the Workshop on Comparative Approaches to Ritual in Mainland SE Asia: Emergence or Resurgence? CASE/EHESS, Paris, October 14, 2016.
- 'The Bodhisattva of the South: Locality, Region and Nation in the Biography of a Southern Thai Buddhist Saint'. Paper presented at the Kaleidoscopes of Religion: Southeast Asia and Beyond, Humboldt University, Berlin, January 25, 2015.
- 'Mönche, Mirakel Und Medien'. Lecture presented at the GGV Public Lecture, Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology, University Göttingen, February 16, 2014.
- 'Enchanted Mediations: Agency, Authority and Technologies of Presence in the Making of a Southern Thai Buddhist Saint'. Paper presented at the AAS in Asia Inaugural Conference: Asian in Motion, National University of Singapore, Singapore, July 17, 2014.
- The bodhisattva, the border and beyond: Luang Pho Thuat and the two bodies of the Thai nation. Presented at the Religion and Borders Workshop, St Gallen, Switzerland, 30-31 October 2013.
- The bodhisattva, the border and beyond: Luang Pho Thuat and the two bodies of the Thai nation. Presented at the Dynamics of Religion in Southeast Asia (DORISEA) Lecture Series, Humboldt University, Berlin, 23 October 2013.
- New Routes for the Venerable Ancestor: Growth Triangles, Tourism, and the Emergence of a Sacred Landscape in the Thai-Malay Borderland. Presented at the Religion, Place and Modernity in East and Southeast Asia, Göttingen, 21 September 2012.
- "Potency and Charity: The Moral Economy of Cross-border religious exchanges, southern Thailand". Association of Asian Studies Annual Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, 31 March – 3 April.
- "Potency and Charity: The Moral Economy of Cross-border religious exchanges, southern Thailand". 11th International Conference of Thai Studies, Bangkok, 26-28 July, 2011.
- "A southern Thai Buddhist College as a Transnational Social Space", invited lecture for Transnational Social Support Research Training Group, University of Hildesheim. 7 September, 2011.
- "Bodhisattva of the South: Magic and Morality of a Southern Thai Buddhist Saint", EuroSEAS Conference, Gothenburg, 26-28 August.
- “Sacred Tourism and the State: Some Paradoxes of Cross-border Religious Patronage in Southern Thailand”, Annual meeting of the Swiss Ethnological Society, Bern, 12-13 November.
- "Sacred Tourism and the State: Cross-border Religious Patronage in Southern Thailand". Australian Anthropological Association Annual Conference, Macquarie University, Sydney.
- "On the Limits of Hybridity: Ethnic Chinese Participation in a Thai Buddhist Ceremony in Southern Thailand". International Conference on Thai Studies, Thammasat University, Bangkok.
- "The Dhamma Ambassador: A Southern Thai Buddhist Saint as Cultural Intermediary". Departmental Seminar, University of Sydney.
- "The Transnational Sacred and State Formation: Some Paradoxes of Cross-border Religious Tourism in Southern Thailand". Globalising Religion and Culture in the Asia-Pacific, Asia Pacific Futures Network Signature Event. University of Adelaide.
- "An Overview of Religious Tourism in Southern Thailand", Thai Update, Australian National University.
- “Chineseness on the Road: Mobility and Spectacle in Hat Yai's Vegetarian Festival.” The First Inter-Dialogue Conference On Southern Thailand. Pattani, Thailand.
- “Luang Phor Thuat: A Southern Thai Buddhist Saint”. Thai Update, Australian National University.