Degree: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
Standard period of study: 6 semesters (3 years)
Start: Winter semester
Language of the programme: German
Part-time studies possible
Admission to the summer semester 2018:
- 1st subject semester: start of studies in the winter semester only
- 2nd to 6th subject semester: open admission (enrolment without previous application)
- International applicants (non-EU): start of studies in the winter semester only (application to International Student Office)
(1) The Bachelor's Programme in Sociology conveys basic subject knowledge that is necessary for continuing on with a Master's programme and for changing over to the working world. Students acquire the skills they need to grasp the main correlations of the subject and to apply the fundamental scientific methods and findings.
Students will learn skills in formulating sociological questions, in analysing social problems and phenomena and in applying the more important sociological methods. These qualifcations enable their entry into different occupational fields (press, mass media, public relations, work in associations, continuing education and non-school related youth education and youth assistance, in the field of public administration on a federal level, state and community level, as well as in human resources of business and organisations). They also prepare themselves for continuing on to acquire an additional scientific degree.
(2) Aside from sufficient fundamental knowledge in the subject Sociology, students will acquire in-depth knowledge in special sociological areas through elective compulsory modules. In addition, students have the possibility to build a concentration in the area of social policy.
(3) The Bachelor's programme not only conveys subject-specific knowledge but also key competencies required for successful entry into the working world or for admission to a Master's programme.
a) An application-oriented profile enables students to acquire general and subject-specific occupational skills. .
b) A scientific-oriented profile aims to convey the foundation to continue on with a consecutive occupational-qualifying degree in the form of a Master's programme.