Gender Studies (B.A.) (2 subjects)
Subject: Gender Studies
Degree: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) (2 subjects)
Standard period of study: 6 semesters
Start of programme: Winter semester only
Language of the programme: German
Admission to the summer semester 2018:
- 1st subject semester: start of studies in the winter semester only
- 2nd to 6th subject semester: open admission (enrolment without previous application)
- International applicants (non-EU): start of studies in the winter semester only (application to International Student Office)
The goal of the subject Gender Studies is to gain insight into the development, importance and effects of the category "gender" in society, culture and the sciences, and to open up to students new job perspectives in several areas of activity. The programme looks at the social category Gender which determines systems of human thinking as well as social and cultural forms of organisation from an interdisciplinary perspective. Basic knowledge of the theories about cultural construction of gender and about the dimensions of the relationship of the sexes (equality, difference, hierarchy) in the past and present is communicated using the views of different subjects and areas. The historical, social and biographical consequences of the respective constructions of gender are examined in order to reach a new understanding of human beings, society, and nature.
Students do not take one isolated subject; rather the programme takes the form of an interdisciplinary education. The different subjects (19 subjects from seven faculties) feed their lectures into Gender Studies modules. The subject is organised by the cross-faculty "Gender Studies Work Group" ("Arbeitsgruppe Geschlechterforschung").
(1) The Gender Studies modules are designed for a standard period of study of six semesters for the Bachelor's programme and of four semesters for the Master's programme.
(2) The Bachelor's programme comprises an overall achievement of 42 credits if Gender Studies is a minor subject, and of 66 credits if it is one of two main subjects in the course of the 2-subject Bachelor's programme (in this case, an additional 12 credits must be earned if the Bachelor's thesis is written in Gender Studies).
(3) By means of appropriate design and organisation of the programme, students are enabled by their lecturers to perform the course-related tasks required of them and to observe the standard period of study. Part of this organisation is intensive counseling at the Gender Studies Coordination Office ("Koordinationsstelle Geschlechterforschung").
- Theories and methods of Gender Studies
- Concepts of body and individual
- Social relations
- Work, economy and material culture
- Politics and sociopolitical systems
- Language, literature, text and visual media, systems of belief and knowledge
Within the framework of the 2-subject BA, a second subject of equal value is selected.
Consecutive Master's programmes
In the Master's programme of the social sciences Faculty of Humanities, students have the possibility to take the module package Gender Studies.
There are additional modules which can be independently selected from the courses offered by the participating subjects (14 credits).
Language skills to be achieved during the programme
Taking Gender Studies modules in the context of the Bachelor's and Master's programmes can lead to a variety of professional and academic areas where Gender Studies and Gender competences are an expedient special qualification:
- Universities and other educational establishments
- Public administration (e.g. human resources, gender equality) and private businesses (e.g. management, PR, in-company education) in Germany and abroad
- Cultural establishments (e.g. museums)
- Publishers and the media (e.g. book publishing companies, radio and television, online services)
- International cooperation institutions and organisations
- Associations (e.g. unions) and parties
- Sports and healthcare establishments
- Networks and support groups