When do I have to pay long-term tuition fees?
Long-term tuition fees usually become payable at the end of the standard period of study plus 4 additional semesters.
I'm studying in multiple degree programmes. Which standard period of study is taken into account?
If you are simultaneously studying in multiple courses, it is the course with the longest standard period of study that is decisive, according to Section 13 paragraph 1 sentence 4 NHG (Lower Saxony Higher Education Act).
Will periods of study at other universities be counted towards my period of study?
It is the university semesters that are decisive for the calculation of the period of study. University semesters are all periods of study at universities that fall under the purview of the Higher Education Act (periods of study at universities in the Federal Republic of Germany).
What is the amount of the tuition fees for prolonged studies?
After exceeding the standard period of study plus 4 semesters, the fees for the 1st and second semesters are: € 600 per semester, for the third and 4 semesters € 700 per semester and from the 5th onwards € 800 per semester. Then, there are also the contributions to the student body and the Studentenwerk and the administrative costs. However, the tuition fee of € 500 then no longer has to be paid.
Are there still study credits?
Pursuant to an amendment to the Lower Saxony Higher Education Act, no study credit vouchers have been offered since winter semester 2006/2007. The fee payable is calculated after exceeding the standard period of your course of study plus four additional semesters. Principally, a tuition fee in the amount € 500 is payable before exceeding the period of study plus four additional semesters. From this perspective, It is also irrelevant whether you have already completed a degree or not. Exceptions apply only to consecutive Bachelor's / Master's degree programmes.
Will my standard period of study be extended if I participate in university committees and activities as an officer for women's equality?
The previous regulations on permitting credit vouchers for work on the committees of the university, the student body or Studentenwerk as well as the possibility of crediting activities as women's or equal opportunities officers were deleted by the legislature without any replacements enacted.
I would like to complete a doctoral degree. Do I have to pay tuition fees for prolonged studies even in this case?
Students who are enrolled exclusively with the objective of doctoral studies do not need to pay tuition fees for prolonged studies if they are not enrolled in yet another degree programme.
What happens in case of leave of absence?
No tuition fees for prolonged studies are charged in semesters for which a student has been granted leave of absence.
What are the exemptions from the obligation to pay tuition fees?
1. Students who are currently parenting a child, in within the meaning of Section 25 paragraph 5 BAföG who has not turned 14 at the beginning of the semester concerned
2. Students who are looking after a close relative, who is in need of care in the expert opinion of the medical service of the health insurance company
3. Students already registered simultaneously in a joint degree programme at another university to which the tuition fees for prolonged studies have been paid
4. Students who are required by their study regulations to study abroad for a certain period
5. Students who are required by their study regulations to do a work-placement semester
6. Students taking or following up on their practical year in accordance with Section 1 (2) 1 in conjunction with Section 3 (1) 5 of the Medical Licensing Regulations for Physicians or
are exempt from the payment obligation.
This requires a new application for exemption for each semester.
Can I be exempted from paying the tuition fees for prolonged studies?
The tuition fees for prolonged studies can be waived in case the payment would cause undue hardship. The undue hardship clause usually applies when the study period has been prolonged due to a disability, serious illness or as the consequence of having been the victim of a crime.
Can I still be exempted due to "graduation proximity" to the winter semester of 2006/2007?
The reason for exemption "economic emergency" has been removed for the winter semester 2006/2007 without replacement.
Are there any exceptions from payment of tuition fees for prolonged studies?
Students who have reached the age of 60 years and have already paid a fee according to Section 13 paragraph 4 NHG are exempted from payment of tuition fees for prolonged studies. Exempted likewise are students who are enrolled in a degree programme for which payment is obligatory according to Section 13 paragraph 1 sentence 1 of the NHG.
Where can I find / get more information / assistance at the University of Göttingen in case of further questions?
1. The hotline of the Office of Student Affairs Tel: 0551 / 39-113
2. The subject-specific study advisers of the faculties
3. During our consultation hours, Mon., Tue., Fri. 10 - 11 am and Wed. 2 pm - 3 pm in the Central Office of Student Affairs, Wilhelmsplatz 4
When are the tuition fees for prolonged studies to be paid and into which account?
The tuition fees for prolonged studies are payable along with the semester fees during the re-registration period. More detailed information on payment modalities can be found here: