Research Projects at EPSAG
The department EPSAG with the SAG Culture Collection focuses on the Biodiversity of Algae in research and education.
- In various research projects molecular signatures, i.e. DNA sequences and genomic fragments, are determined to assess the diversity of algae and cyanobacteria in certain habitats and infer their phylogenetic relationships.
- To study algal community structures in various terrestrial habitats culture-independent molecular methods as well as isolating new culture strains including the study of algal morphological features are used.
Currently funded Research Projects:
- Antarctic Research: Soil algae in glacier forefields of Antarctica (DFG SPP 1158 Antarktisforschung mit vergleichenden Untersuchungen in arktischen Eisgebieten)
- EarthShape: Biofilms associated with rock surfaces and rock weathering along a climate gradient in Chile (DFG SPP 1803 EarthShape: Earth Surface Shaping by Biota)
- PUFAChain: The Value Chain from Microalgae to PUFA (EU FP7) (project web site under construction>)
- KALT: Cryostress - adaptation mechanisms of cells towards ultra deep temperatures (Leibniz Associaction and DSMZ-German Collection of microroganisms and cell lines) (project web site under construction>)
- High CO2 tolerant algae: Production of algal biomass from industrial CO2-rich flue gasses for biofuels and valuable compounds (Scientific Cooperation Niedersachsen - Israel of VolkswagenStiftung) (project web site under construction>)
Recently Completed Research Projects: