Information on application and admission procedures of the Master’s programme in Development Economics
On this website you will find detailed information on the application periods, application form (made available only during application periods), required application documents, admission requirements and admission procedures as well as the selection criteria. If you have any additional questions that are not addressed here, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Due to the current corona pandemic, there are changes in the application procedure for the winter semester 2021/22
Due to the corona pandemic, the application process for the coming winter semester 2021/22 will be completely digital. You are obliged to submit original documents subsequently if requested.
The application process consists of four steps:
- 1. You complete the online application form for the Master's programme in Development Economics during the application period and send it by clicking on the send button at the end of the form
- 2. You will then receive an email with a link to a document upload portal. The email also contains your login data (user name and password) for the upload portal. You will also find two PDF documents in this email: The summary of your data from step 1 and additionally a list of the required application documents that you need to upload (Checklist Application Documents).
- 3. Go to the upload portal, enter your username and password from the email and follow the steps in the upload portal to upload your documents.
- 4. Once the selection process is complete, you will receive an email reply to your application. You can expect this possibly in June 2021.
Please note that as an EPOS scholarship holder you can only start the programme in the winter term (October) of each year and applications are only possible from October 1 through November 15 of the previous year. Please see here for further information.
- Application period for studies beginning in the winter semester: April 1 to May 15 of the same calendar year
- Application period for studies beginning in the summer semester: October 1 to November 15 of the previous calendar year
- The application for the double degree programmes with Stellenbosch University, University of Florence and University of Clermont Auvergne is only possible from April 1 to May 15th (for a start in the winter semester). Please note that you can not apply for the double degree programmes during the application period from October 1 to November 15th.
- The online application form is only available during application periods.
- A course of study of at least 6 semesters in length with a Bachelor's degree comprising at least 180 ECTS credits in the subject of Economics or a closely related subject.
- Verification of at least 150 of the 180 ECTS credits is required at the time of application (83% of your overall credits for programmes with any other structure)
- Academic achievement in Economics and/ or Agricultural Economics and/ or Econometrics totalling at least 60 ECTS credits (as measured for a 180 ECTS bachelor's programme; for any other programme types at least one third of overall courses taken), including courses in Economic Theory, Agricultural Economics, and Development Economics totalling at least 30 ECTS credits (or one sixth) altogether.
- As part of fulfilling the minimum of 30 ECTS course requirements in Economic Theory, Agricultural Economics, and Development Economics:
- A minimum of 18 ECTS must be from modules with intermediate or high scientific level. For courses to be considered intermediate or advanced, the course content must clearly go beyond introductory or basic concepts.
- Academic achievement in Mathematics or Statistics or Econometrics (in addition to the courses possibly counted above) totalling at least 12 ECTS credits (or 7% of overall credits for other structures).
Proof of relevant language skills
- For a list of accepted language certificates, see: "Required application documents"
Please note that we can only accept one of the listed certificates and that your proof of language proficiency has to reach us either together with your remaining application material or, if sent separately, it still needs to be received within the application deadline.
- Applies only to winter semester 2021/22 application procedure (due to the corona pandemic): You can hand in your English language certificate until four weeks after the start of lectures of the winter semester 2021/22. Lectures will start October 25, 2021. Here you can find our semester dates. If the language certificate is not presented by the given date, this will result in an exmatriculation with immediate effect.
Please pay attention to the following details
- The determination of the relevancy of previous studies is based on the documents enclosed in the application. Please submit documents that verify special knowledge for the selected course of study (for example syllabi or course descriptions), if not already evident from your transcript of records. This does not apply to Bachelor degree holders of the Faculty of Business and Economics of the University of Göttingen.
- Unless needed as part of an EPOS scholarship application, please do not enclose any letters of recommendation. They will not be evaluated.
Selection procedures and criteria
- The selection process is a two-stage process. The initial selection round will evaluate candidates based on their submitted application. The second round will evaluate candidates based on personal interviews.
- The following points are evaluated in the selection procedure:
The overall grade of the degree on which application is based upon. In addition, special knowledge and abilities in those fields that specially qualify the applicant for the Master's programme (for example, special knowledge in the areas of economics), documented by a corresponding specialisation respectively performance in the programme, on which application is based upon.