Dr. Yabibal M. Walle
- Postdoctoral researcher at the Chair of Econometrics (Prof. Dr. Helmut Herwartz)
- 2009 – 2013: Doctor scientiarum politicarum (Dr. sc. pol.), Quantitative Economics, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel
- 2005 – 2007: M.Sc., Economics, Addis Ababa University
- 2000 – 2005: B.A., Economics, Addis Ababa University
- Econometrics: panel data econometrics, panel unit root and cointegration testing, big data analytics, machine learning, functional coefficient modelling, bootstrapping, Structural Vectorautoregressive (SVAR) models
- Finance and Development Economics: the finance-growth nexus, financial inclusion, financial literacy and gender, migration
- Macroeconomics: economic growth, income inequality, infrastructure, institutions
Publications in refereed journals:
- Herwartz, H., Maxand, S. and Walle, Y.M. (2019) Heteroskedasticity-robust unit root testing for trending panels, Journal of Time Series Analysis.
- Gimenez-Gomez, J.M, Walle, Y.M., and Zergawu, Y.Z. (2019) Trends in African migration to Europe: drivers beyond economic motivations, Journal of Conflict Resolution .
- Herwartz, H., and Walle, Y.M. (2018) Do rising top incomes spur economic growth? evidence from OECD countries based on a novel identification strategy, Review of Income and Wealth.
- Herwartz, H., Maxand, S., Raters, F., and Walle, Y.M. (2018) Panel unit root tests for heteroskedastic panels, Stata Journal, 18(1): 184-196.
- Herwartz, H. and Walle, Y.M. (2018) A powerful wild bootstrap diagnosis of panel unit roots under linear trends and time-varying volatility, Computational Statistics, 33(1): 379-411.
- Tran, V.T., Walle, Y.M., and Herwartz, H. (2018) Local financial development and household welfare in Vietnam: evidence from a panel survey, Journal of Development Studies, 54(4): 619-640.
- Herwartz, H., Siedenburg, F., and Walle, Y.M. (2016) Heteroskedasticity robust panel unit root testing under variance breaks in pooled regressions, Econometric Reviews, 35(5): 727-750.
- Herwartz, H. and Walle, Y.M. (2014) Openness and the finance-growth nexus, Journal of Banking & Finance, 48: 235-247.
- Walle, Y.M. (2014) Revisiting the finance-growth nexus in Sub-Saharan Africa: results from error correction-based panel cointegration tests, African Development Review, 26(2): 310-321.
- Herwartz, H. and Walle, Y.M. (2014) Determinants of the link between financial and economic development: evidence from a functional coefficient model, Economic Modelling, 37: 417-427.
- Hartmann, M., Herwartz, H., and Walle, Y.M. (2012) Where enterprise leads, finance follows. In-sample and out-of-sample evidence on the causal relation between finance and growth, Economics Bulletin, 32(1): 871-882.
- Zergawu, Y.Z., Walle, Y.M., and Gimenez-Gomez, J.M. (2018) The joint impact of infrastructure and institutions on economic growth, Department of Economics Working Papers, No. 22 - 2018, Universitat Rovira i Virgili.
- Gimenez-Gomez, J.M, Walle, Y.M., and Zergawu, Y.Z. (2017) Trends in African migration to Europe: drivers beyond economic motivations, Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers No. 330, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen.
- Herwartz, H., Maxand, S. and Walle, Y.M (2017) Heteroskedasticity-robust unit root testing for trending panels, Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers No. 314, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen.
- Ute , U. and Walle, Y.M (2015) The financial literacy gender gap: A question of nature or nurture?, Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers No. 176, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen.
- Walle, Y.M. (2010) Tourist flows and its determinants in Ethiopia, Ethiopian Development Research Institute Working Paper 001.
- Development Macroeconometrics: Winter terms 2018/2019, 2016/2017
- Development Microeconometrics: Winter term 2017/2018
- Econometrics I: Summer terms 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014
- Financial Liberalization, Financial Development and Economic Growth (seminar): Summer terms 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016
- Development Econometrics: Winter terms 2015/2016, 2014/2015, 2013/2014
- Mathematik-Großübung: Winter term 2013/2014
- 2010-12 (University of Kiel) Econometrical Preparatory Course (yearly 15 hours) for new doctoral students of the Doctoral Program ``Quantitative Economics."
- November 2007- June 2009 (Addis Ababa University) Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Monetary Economics and Policy, and Introduction to Econometrics (all BA level courses).