Esther Lemmerz, M.A.
Studied English and History at the University of Bonn (2007-2010) and spent one term in Belfast; Masters degrees in Medieval Studies (University of Leeds, 2011, and University of Bonn, 2013); PhD candidate at Göttingen working on Latin quotations in anonymous Old English homilies and saints’ lives; has taught at Göttingen since 2018; currently involved with the Electronic Corpus of Homilies in Old English project and responsible for transcribing as well as teaching XML/TEI to new team members.
Taught course covering Old and Middle English (e.g. introduction to medieval English literature and culture), Old English preaching and medievalism as well as palaeography, digital editing and XML/TEI.
- Old English homilies and saints’ lives, especially their composition, use of motifs, Latin and Greek sources
- Early medieval manuscripts
- Digital editing
- Latin Quotations in Anonymous Old English Homilies and Saints’ Lives, Göttinger Schriften zur Englischen Philologie (Göttingen: Universitätsverlag Göttingen, 2021) (in Vorbereitung)
- ‘A New Analogue for Some Exegetical Motifs in Assmann homily XIII’, in The Anonymous Old English Homily: Sources, Composition, and Variation, ed. by Winfried Rudolf and Susan Irvine (Leiden: Brill, 2020), pp. 187–206.
- ‘Parallels between Assmann XIII and Sermo 29 in Cambridge, Pembroke College 25’, Early Career Symposium, International Conference on manuscripts in the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, London, 15/12/2019
- ‘Die Martinslegende des Sulpicius Severus in der altenglischen Tradition’, Interdisziplinärer Workshop: Register des Religiösen, Göttingen, 07/07/2018
- ‘The Electronic Corpus of Anonymous Homilies in Old English’ (with Susan Irvine, Winfried Rudolf und Paul Langeslag), 18th Biennial Meeting of the International Society of Anglo-Saxonists, Honolulu, 01/08/2017
- ‘Latin Quotations in Old English Homilies: A Palaeographical Approach’, International Medieval Congress, Leeds, 05/07/2016
- ‘Wisdom as Christ in the Horologium Sapientiae and its Translations’, 51st International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, 13/05/2016
- ‘Latin quotations in Old English anonymous homilies: A palaeographical approach’, Studientag zum Englischen Mittelalter (SEM) XVIII, Bonn, 04/03/2016
- ‘Treachery and Betrayal in the Kenelm Legend’, The Middle Ages in Britain: A Student Conference, Gießen, 16/03/2013
- ‘Treason and Traitors in Old English and Anglo-Latin Saints’ Lives’, Studientag zum Englischen Mittelalter (SEM) XV, Bern, 08/03/2013
- ‘Depicting Paradox: Christ’s Dual Nature in The Dream of the Rood’, Freond ic gemete wið: A Student Conference on the Middle Ages in Britain, Prague, 02/03/2012