- Evolution and systematics of seed plants, particularly the gymnosperms.
- Carboniferous environments and plants.
- The origin, taphonomy, and fossil record of amber, in particular the global phenomena of ‘amber bursts’, and the plant inclusions enclosed within amber.
- Understanding the interactions of species in ‘amber forests’.
- Resin induction and production in modern plants, particularly the gymnosperms.
- Anatomically preserved fossil plants and reconstructing the fragments back in to a whole-plant concept.
- Niche development and the geological record.
- Land plant recovery after extinction events, particularly the Triassic floral recovery.
- Origin of the modern flora.