Type of course: Seminar
Course number: 800719
Semester: SS 2011
Max. # of participants: 15
Credits: 6 ECTS
Eligible studies - Master’s Programs:
- Finance, Accounting, and Taxes
- Marketing and Channel Management
- International Economics
- Business Information Systems
- Economic and Social History
Hosts: Prof. Dr. Jan Muntermann, Dr. Robert Wayne Gregory
Advisors: Mirko Jan Zülch, Irina Alic
Course content at a glance: In this seminar, recent and future management trends about innovative information technologies (IT) and IT-driven business processes in the financial services and related knowledge-intensive industries will be discussed. These trends include, but are not limited to, innovations in the organization and management of IT-related work (e.g., globally distributed work teams), innovative IT investments (e.g., cloud computing infrastructure), and IT-driven business innovations (e.g., algorithmic trading). Thus, together with students we will explore innovative business and IT trends in this seminar that are of utmost importance to future business leaders in knowledge-intensive and IT-driven industries.
Seminar group topics in 2011:
- (1) The changing nature of work in knowledge-intensive industries
- (2) Emerging IT- and business innovations in the financial services industry
- (3) Digital business and electronic markets
Download the detailed description of topics and subtopics.
Download seminar paper formal requirements.
Evaluation: Students will be sorted into three groups. Each group deals with a different topic and within each group, sub-topics will be assigned to individual students. Each student will be asked to hand in a written seminar paper and give a presentation on the findings. Performance evaluation is based on the seminar paper (4 ECTS) and on the final presentation (2 ECTS).
Registration: Registration period starts on February 1st, 2011 and ends on March 31st, 2011. Student applicants will be selected on a ‘first come first serve’ basis. For application, please send an email to Dr. Robert Wayne Gregory, indicating your name, student identification number, type of studies, semester, contact details, and preference for group topics (please indicate first, second, and third preference).
- March 31st, 2011: registration deadline
- April 14th, 2011: kick-off meeting (mandatory). Room: MZG1616
- April 21st, 2011, 12 a.m.: flexnow registration deadline (for participating students only who have registered with Dr. Gregory and attended the kick-off meeting)
- May 31st, 2011: deadline for seminar paper
- June 27th starting at 10h: presentations