Tata Institute of Social Sciences Mumbai, Mumbai
The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) Mumbai was established in 1936 and is recognized as a Deemed University by the Government of India.
TISS believes in promotion of sustainable, equitable and participatory development, social welfare and social justice through:
- Value-based professional education in human service professions;
- Social research and dissemination of socially relevant knowledge;
- Social intervention through training and field action projects;
- Contribution to social and welfare policy and programme formulation at the state, national and international levels; and
- Professional response to natural and human-made disasters, through relief, rehabilitation and disaster management.
There are about 1000 students in sixteen Post Graduate, one Undergraduate, M.Phil/Ph.D and numbers of Diploma and certificate programmes offered by the TISS. The strength of the faculty is around 150 from various disciplines/subjects, most of them with international exposures.