Dr. Brianne Altmann
"Science is just formalized curiosity" (Chris Hadfield)
- Research Interests:
- Expertise Meat physico-chemical properties, descriptive sensory analysis, participatory mapping, consumer surveys, discrete choice experiments
- Academic Career:
- 2019 Ph.D. Program for Agricultural Sciences in Sustainability Transitions in the Food Industry. magna cum laude – University of Goettingen (Goettingen, Germany – 2019)
- 2015 M.Sc. in Sustainable International Agriculture, University of Göttingen & University of Kassel
- 2013 B.Sc. in Environmental and Conservation Sciences, University of Alberta, Canada (Majored in Human Dimensions of Environmental Management)
- 2013 B.A. in Native Studies, University of Alberta
- 2013 Certificate of Aboriginal Governance and Partnership
- 2012 Udergraduate Research Opportunities Program, RWTH Aachen ("Motivations behind urban agriculture projects: a cross-cultural comparison between Cologne, Germany and Edmonton, Canda" )
- 2011 Study abroad, Albert-Ludwig-University Freiburg (Focus on Environmental Governance & Forest Ecology and Management)
- 2015-2020 "Sustainability Transitions in Food Production: alternative protein sources from a socio-technical perspective" Link
Food systems, unconventional livestock, consumer perception and preferences, sustainability science
Altmann, B. A., Anders, S., Risius, A., Mörlein, D. (2022). Information effects on consumer preferences for alternative animal feedstuffs. Foods Policy 106, 102192.
Tielkes, S. and Altmann, B. A. (2021). The sustainability of bison production in North America: a scoping review. Sustainability . 13(24), 13527.
Gkarane, V., Ciulu, M., Altmann, B.A., Schmitt, A.O., Mörlein, D. (2020). The Effect of Algae or Insect Supplementation as Alternative Protein Sources on the Volatile Profile of Chicken Meat. Foods 9(9) 1235.
Escobedo del Bosque, C.I., Altmann, B.A., Ciulu, M., Halle, I., Jansen, S., Nolte, T., Weigend, S., Mörlein, D. (2020). Meat quality parameters and sensory properties of one high-performing and two local chicken breeds fed with Vicia faba. Foods 9(8), 1052.
Altmann, B. A., Wigger, R., Ciulu, M., Mörlein, D. (2020). The effect of insect or microalga alternative protein feeds on broiler meat quality. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture
Gkarane, V., Ciulu, M., Altmann, B. A., Mörlein, D. (2020). Effect of alternative protein feeds on the content of selected endogenous bioactive and flavour-related compounds in chicken breast meat. Foods 9(4), 392
Altmann, B. A., Neumann, C., Rothstein, S., Liebert, F., Mörlein, D. (2019). Do dietary soy alternatives lead to pork quality improvements or drawbacks? A look into micro-alga and insect protein in swine diets. Meat Science 153, 26-36.
Siekmann, L., Meier-Dinkel, L., Janisch, S., Altmann, B., Kaltwasser, C., Sürie, C., Krischek, C. (2018). Carcass Quality, Meat Quality and Sensory Properties of the Dual-Purpose Chicken Lohmann Dual. Foods 2018, 7(10), 156.
Altmann, B. A., Jordan, G., Schlecht, E. (2018). Participatory mapping as an approach to identify grazing pressure in the Altay Mountains, Mongolia. Sustainability, 10(6).
Altmann, B. A., Neumann, C., Velten, S., Liebert, F., Mörlein, D. (2018). Meat Quality Derived from High Inclusion of a Micro-Alga or Insect Meal as an Alternative Protein Source in Poultry Diets : A Pilot Study. Foods, 7(3).
Meyerding, S. G. H., Gentz, M., Altmann, B., Meier-Dinkel, L. (2018). Beef quality labels: A combination of sensory acceptance test, stated willingness to pay, and choice-based conjoint analysis. Appetite, 127(September 2017), 324–333.