The university seeks to run its operations according to selected criteria of sustainability.
The following things contribute to more sustainable operations of the university:
Projects, obligations and initiatives of the university and its partners:
Information on cycling in Göttingen: bicycle use, bicycle repair shops, bicycle renting and much more can be found here.
Instead of owning a car, it is a possible to share one. Information on Carsharing can be found here.
Protection of resources
You may use your own to-go-cup at all coffee machines in the dining hall or cafeterias of the university. Though using your reusable cup is not only good for the environment, it helps your wallet, too: for every time you use your reusable cup instead of a single-use cup, you will save 10 cents.
Used objects | furniture exchange platform
- The Second hand exchange platform on the notice board of StudIP offers a variety of useful objects: besides house-hold items and kitchenware you can find furniture, books for your studies and many other things.
- On the website of the university you can also find an exchange platform for dispensable gear. There you will find functioning devices or used furniture that is still in good condition. You can find the contact for offers and requests on the right column of the website.
The UMG (Department for medical technology) has various used devices in their storages that are available for sale.
Contact: Mr. Wille (Phone: 9551) or Mr. Böhm (Phone: 12705)
An easy step towards sustainable procurement is the transition to using recycling paper. If according to this the use of paper will be reduced through
- the avoidance of unnecessary printing
- - using the duplex-function
- reusing defaulted prints,
Chemicals exchange platform
Residues of chemicals used in laboratories that are no longer needed can be put on offer on the exchange platform for chemicals that is run by the unit for security and environmental protection.
Information on the proper recycling of electronic waste at the university and the university hospital can be found here.
Energy use and saving potentials
Department for Facility Management
The department for facility management informs on its website (here and here) in great detail about how you can reduce your use of energy. There you can find more information about the university’s own photovoltaic system as well as reports from the energy use of the university in the last couple of years.
Unit for Energy | Technical Facility Management
For all general and more complex questions on an economical use of electricity, heat, water and air conditioning you can consult the unit for energy, which is part of the technical facility management of the university.
University Medicine Göttingen
As a public institution, the University of Göttingen should act as a role model. Due to its scope as an employer, it holds a powerful position in the market that can and should be used to contribute to the designing of a sustainable future. Goods that can be procured more sustainably range from office furniture, stationary goods such as paper to the vehicles used by the university.
- An introduction into the topics is provided by the federal Ministry for Environment in this information brochure.
- The “Kompass Nachhaltigkeit öffentliche Beschaffung” informs how different sustainable criteria can be considered
- A variety of best practices are listed by the Competence Centre for Sustainable Procurement.
Sustainable event management
Sustainable event management
- This guideline from the federal Ministry for Environment contains recommendations and measures for sustainable event management. It includes measures that range from mobility, over waste management up to social aspects.
Climate Protection Göttingen
The university is one of three partners in the project “Climate Protection Göttingen”, the goal of which is to reduce the CO2 emissions of the city area by 10% every five years.
Student Union Göttingen
Unit for Security and Environmental Protection
Contact - Green Office
Sustainability Coordinator and Coordinator of the Green Office
Phone: 0551 39-21356
Room 1.122 (first floor)
Interconnection of students around sustainability issues
Sustainability in teaching and learning
Research and Exchange on sustainability