Meeting at the Platz der Göttinger Sieben
Dear Staff, Students and Visitors of the University of Göttingen,
For several weeks now, the Platz der Göttinger Sieben – located between the SUB library and the Central Lecture Hall (ZHG) - has been increasingly used as a meeting place on weekends, most recently by well over 1,000 people at the same time.
As a university, we would like to make it possible for our staff and students and the people of Göttingen to enjoy stress-free outdoor gatherings after the months behind us. However, we are very concerned about the developments in recent days: there have been repeated physical confrontations, fireworks have been set off and the distancing rules that apply have been disregarded. The police have had to intervene on several occasions and the emergency services had to be called. In addition, despite the presence of rubbish containers onsite and the toilet facilities in the ZHG (open between 20:00 and 03:00), the mess in and around the square has also been increasing dramatically.
It is simply not possible for the University to clean up at the weekend; the waste, which unfortunately has included more and more broken glass, cannot be removed until early on Monday morning. Please help us to keep this meeting place safe for everyone to celebrate happily and loudly, but also responsibly and safely. Please use your own networks or personal contacts locally to spread this message.
- Please take care of yourselves and each other!
- Please celebrate with enthusiasm, but avoid excessive alcohol consumption when doing so.
- Use the toilets at the ZHG (open from 20:00 to 03:00), rubbish bins and containers for glass (put anything where a deposit applies just next to them!).
- Visitors are not allowed to enter the University buildings (with the exception of the toilets in the ZHG). Please note that at least in the evening hours, work is still going on in the buildings (especially the SUB) and respect these activities.
- Barbecues and fireworks are strictly prohibited.
- Music in moderation is okay. Please leave excessively large or loud equipment at home.
- Respect the local coronavirus regulations: outside in public spaces (distancing and facemasks are not required) maximum of 50 people.
We will continue to analyse the situation and take steps in consultation with the City and police to ensure a sustainable and safe atmosphere on our University campus. Please make sure that the festivities on our University campus do not get out of hand.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the three students who spontaneously decided to collect rubbish on the square last Sunday. Their actions showed great dedication to the principle of zum Wohle Aller! for the good of all!
With best wishes,
President of the University of Göttingen