Elective-compulsory module in the context of a specialisation in Marketing and E-Business
Due to a knee injury the lecture Strategic marketing is offered at the beginning of the winter term 2022/23 as a recording in Stud.IP. To access the media, please log into Stud.IP with your study account and register for the course "Marketing Performance Management" (course number 800812). We will inform you about the time of course activation and the upload to the media on our Facebook page.
As soon as a switch to full presence lecture is possible, we will inform you in good time. We ask for your understanding.
Please note that the exercise will be offered in the winter semester 2022/23 in full presence as planned.
- Prof. Dr. Maik Hammerschmidt
Module for the following Master's degree programmes:
- Marketing and E-Business (MSc)
- Finance, Accounting and Taxes (MSc)
- Management (MSc)
- Global Business (MSc)
- Taxation (MSc)
- Business Information Systems (MSc)
- Business and Human Resource Education (MEd)
- Business Education and Human Resource Development (MSc)
- Development Economics (MSc)
- International Economics (MSc)
- History of Global Markets (MA)
No admission requirements.
Learning outcomes/core skills:
After successful attendance, students are able to understand and critically discuss the most important concepts and approaches related to research on success factors, systematization of strategies, competition- and customer-oriented strategic marketing as well as customer-oriented corporate culture and organization. They also learn to apply these approaches to a concrete, pre-defined business case. In this way, the students get to know methods that enable them to analyze and shape a company's strategic profile.
Contents of the lecture:
Initially, the lecture provides a basic understanding of market orientation as a central success factor of companies and subsequently describes the dimensions of market orientation (strategy orientation, competition orientation, customer orientation, implementation orientation). Within the first dimension (strategy orientation) a selection of classical and modern strategy concepts is presented. Further, the competition orientation (second dimension) and customer orientation (third dimension) will be considered. The first involves the presentation of central instruments of competitive analysis and potential strategies of competitive management. Customer orientation covers subjective and objective instruments to analyze customer satisfaction and customer loyalty and discusses strategies of customer and complaint management. Moreover, through quantitative examples students apply instruments of competitive intelligence as well as approaches to measure customer satisfaction, customer loyalty and customer value. The fourth dimension, implementation orientation, concludes the lecture by showing how market-oriented corporate management can be implemented and lived. This involves a more detailed look at concepts of corporate organization as well as types and management of corporate culture.
Contents of the exercise:
There will be a case study exercise for the practical application of the central approaches of the lecture. In the exercise the contents of the lecture will also be deepened by the students in form of a transfer performance.
Date: every Tuesday, 14:15 - 15:45 Uhr
Room: ZHG 101
Start of lecture: 01.11.2022
Tuesday, 31.01.2023, 2:00 - 6:00 p.m., room: 1.201 (Waldweg 26)
Tuesday, 07.02.2023, 2:00 - 6:00 p.m., room: 1.201 (Waldweg 26)
Written exam (open book): 90 Min (6 CP)
Proof of knowledge of concepts and approaches of market-oriented management as well as the ability to apply case-study related methods of the competitive and customer analysis and the ability to develop strategy-oriented concepts based on these methods. The exam is in an open book format.
Date of written exam:
Date: Tuesday, 14.02.2023, 2:15 - 3:45 p.m.
Room: ZHG 008
A second exam date will not be offered in the winter semester 2022/23.
- Aaker, D. A., & McLoughlin, D. (2010). Strategic Market Management: Global Perspectives. Chichester: Wiley
- Backhaus, K., & Schneider, H. (2009). Strategisches Marketing (2. Auflage). Stuttgart: Schäffer-Poeschel.
- Bea, F. X. / Haas, J. (2016). Strategisches Management (8. Auflage). Stuttgart
- Becker, J. (2013). Marketing- Konzeption: Grundlagen des zielstrategischen und operativen Marketing-Managements (10. Auflage). München: Vahlen.
- Cornelsen, J. (2000). Kundenwertanalysen im Beziehungsmarketing . Nürnberg: GIM.
- Homburg, C. (2017). Marketingmanagement: Strategie - Instrumente - Umsetzung - Unternehmensführung (6. Auflage). Wiesbaden: Springer-Gabler.
- Homburg, C. (2016). Kundenzufriedenheit: Konzepte - Methoden – Erfahrungen (9. Auflage). Wiesbaden: SpringerGabler.
- Homburg, C., & Pflesser, C. (2000). A Multiple-Layer Model of Market-Oriented Organizational Culture, Journal of Marketing Research, 37(4), S. 449-462.