Frequently Asked Questions

Which degree is offered?

After successfully completing our MSc programme, you will receive the internationally-accepted degree of Master of Science (MSc). This degree fulfils the formal requirements for joining a PhD programme at Göttingen University.

Does University of Göttingen offer scholarships?

No, it doesn't. Students are admitted to the MSc programme on the condition that they obtain a scholarship or bring their own financial support. The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) offers some scholarships for students of our MSc programme. For details concerning the application and deadlines, contact the German embassy in your country or a DAAD office.

Do I have to pay tuition fees?

Find the current height of the tuition fees here.

How much money do I need to live in Göttingen?

Living expenses in Göttingen are at least approximately € 500-600 per month. Tuition fees are approximately € 350 per semester.

Where do I find information on the contents of the modules offered in your MSc programme?

The course scheme here gives an overview of the subjects. Detailed information on the contents of the compulsory and elective modules can be found in the Information System of the University.

How long does the MSc programme TIF take?

The total programme takes two years. The first year consists of compulsory and elective modules; the second year consists of the interdisciplinary student project and the MSc thesis.

What is the language of the programme?

All compulsory modules and the interdisciplinary project are in English. Furthermore, the Faculty of Forest Sciences and the Faculty of Agriculture also offer many elective modules in English. Those students who understand enough German are also free to choose other modules taught in German.

Can I also conduct part of my studies abroad?

Yes, you can. Modules offered from our partner universities in their MSc programmes can be used here for the study as elective modules. In this case, please contact the student advisor.

When does the programme start?

Under normal conditions, the courses start in the winter term (normally starts mid-October). For more details, see dates and deadlines of the University of Göttingen.

Special for international students: How do I find a place to live?

Support is offered by the Accommodation Service for International Students.

Special for German students: Is this MSc programme sufficient to enter the Forest Service in Germany (‘Referendariatsfähigkeit’)?

Die "Referendariatsfähigkeit" wird durch Belegung von 8 SWS im Wahlbereich erworben: je 2 SWS Forstplanung, Naturschutz/Landschaftspflege, Waldbau/Gemässigte Zone, Forstliche Betriebswirtschaftslehre.

Whom do I contact if I have a question, that is not in this FAQ list?

Please contact our study advisers.

back to main page "Master-Programmes"