- 1995-2000 BSc (Hons) 2:1 Plant Sciences (Biological Sciences), University of Edinburgh, U.K.
- 2000-2001 Masters by Research: Mechanical Harvesting of Tea in Malawi. Silsoe College, Cranfield University, U.K (with substantial fieldwork in Malawi, Africa).
- 2001-2002 Silsoe College, Cranfield University, U.K. Laboratory assistant.
- 2002-2004 Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London. Horticultural crop science support and advice for U.K. government.
- 2004-2008 PhD in palaeobotany: Evolution and systematics of Palaeozoic pteridosperms. Earth Sciences, University of Birmingham, U.K.
- 2008-2010 Research fellow, Earth Sciences, University of Birmingham, U.K.
- 2010 ongoing, Dorothea Schlözer postdoctoral fellow at the Courant Research Centre Geobiology, Göttingen.