Dr. Christian Bunn has been working at the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) in Cali, Colombia, since 2010. Since March 2019 he is visiting scientist at the Chair of Social-Ecological Interactions in Agricultural Systems at the University of Göttingen.
Christian holds degrees in agricultural economics from Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin and a bachelor's degree in plant biotechnology. His career includes research stays at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, the International Institute for Applied System Analysis, exchange semesters at Purdue University and Hanoi University of Agriculture, as well as work as a research assistant at the Chair for Market and Policy Analysis at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin and at the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology.
Climate adaptation through interventions in coffee and cocoa value chains is the guiding theme of Christian Bunn's work. In his research he investigates how climate impact assessments can be used to support actors in the coffee and cocoa sector in making climate change adaptation decisions. He combines quantitative climate data analysis with participatory qualitative research in order to link impact assessments directly with the business models of value-adding actors on the one hand, and to develop problem-oriented recommendations for action that are directly applicable to the area on the other. The aim of the projects is to ensure that sustainability initiatives always support climate adaptation.
- Bunn, Christian, Fabio Castro, Mark Lundy, and Peter Läderach. 2018. “Climate Change and Cocoa Cultivation.” In Achieving Sustainable Cultivation of Cocoa, edited by Pathmanathan Umaharan, 445–67. Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing. https://doi.org/10.19103/AS.2017.0021.28
- Bunn, Christian, Peter Läderach, Oriana Ovalle Rivera, and Dieter Kirschke. 2015. “A Bitter Cup: Climate Change Profile of Global Production of Arabica and Robusta Coffee.” Climatic Change 129 (1–2): 89–101. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-014-1306-x
- Schroth, Götz, Peter Läderach, Armando Isaac Martinez-Valle, and Christian Bunn. 2017. “From Site-Level to Regional Adaptation Planning for Tropical Commodities: Cocoa in West Africa.” Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 22 (6): 903–27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11027-016-9707-y
- Sloan, Kealy, Elizabeth Teague, Tiffany Talsma, Stephanie Daniels, Christian Bunn, Laurence Jassogne, and Mark Lundy. 2019. “One Size Does Not Fit All: Private-Sector Perspectives on Climate Change, Agriculture and Adaptation.” In The Climate-Smart Agriculture Papers, edited by Todd S. Rosenstock, Andreea Nowak, and Evan Girvetz, 227–33. Cham: Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-92798-5_19
- Thornton, Philip K., Anthony Whitbread, Tobias Baedeker, Jill Cairns, Lieven Claessens, Walter Baethgen, Christian Bunn, et al. 2018. “A Framework for Priority-Setting in Climate Smart Agriculture Research.” Agricultural Systems 167 (November): 161–75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2018.09.009
Further Information on ResearchGate