Dr. Mario Torralba is a postdoctoral researcher in the research group of Social-Ecological interactions in agricultural systems in the universities of Kassel and Gottingen since February 2018. His studied a bachelor in Biology followed by a Master degree in Ecology in the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. He later did his PhD in the Department of Geosciences and Natural Resources Management of the University of Copenhagen on “Analysis of ecosystem service supply, trade-offs and social-ecological interactions in European wood-pastures”.
His research interests are in the field of sustainability science, where he currently works on social-ecological systems, ecosystem services and sustainable use of natural resources. He has experience in different EU research projects like AGOFRWARD (Agroforestry that will Advance Rural Development) and ESMERALDA (Enhancing ecoSysteM sERvices mApping for poLicy and Decision mAking).
He is currently working in the EU research project SINCERE (Spurring Innovations in Forest Ecosystem Services in Europe) and in the SESYNC-funded project Agbirds (Feasibility of Temporary Conservation Areas in Agricultural Landscapes to Improve Habitat for Migratory Bird Species in the United States).
- Torralba, M., Fagerholm, N., Hartel, T., Moreno, G., Plieninger, T. 2018. A social-ecological analysis of ecosystem services supply and trade-offs in European wood-pastures. Science Advances, 4: eaar2176
- Hartel, T., Fagerholm, N., Torralba, M., Balazsi, A., Plieninger, T. 2018. Social-ecological system archetypes for European rangelands. Rangeland Ecology & Management, In press
- Torralba, M., Oteros-Rozas, E., Moreno, G., Plieninger, T. Exploring the role of management in the co-production of ecosystem services from Spanish wooded rangelands. Rangeland Ecology & Management, In press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rama.2017.09.001
- Fagerholm, N., Oteros-Rozas, E., Raymond, C.M., Torralba, M., Moreno, G., Plieninger, T. Assessing the associations between ecosystem services, use, protection and ownership of land, and self-reported well-being in an agroforestry landscape. 2016. Applied Geography 74: 30-46. ScienceDirekt
- Torralba, M., Fagerholm, N., Burgess, P.J., Moreno, G., Plieninger, T. Do European agroforestry systems enhance biodiversity and ecosystem services? A meta-analysis. 2016 Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 230: 150-161.ScienceDierekt
Further information on ResearchGate
Dr. Mario Torralba is working in the European project SINCERE (Spurring INnovations for Forest ECosystem SERvices in Europe), which is about innovations of forest ecosystem services. More information about this project can be found on the project website.