In publica commoda

Studying after having studied

Graduate studies always require that the candidate has alrady completed a degree course.

The most common graduate programme is the Master, which deepens academic education. The requirement for entering a Master programme is a first vocational qualifying degree from an institute of higher education, usually a Bachelor. Additionally required qualifications may be necessary and are regulated by the respective examination office.

A Master programme that generally has the duration of four semesters at the University of Göttingen leads to a research or application oriented second degree from an institution of higher education. The programmes aim to deepen, specialize or broaden the knowledge and skills acquired in undergraduate studies or in working experience. The programme structure (modular, ECTS points, etc.) is comparable to that of the bachelor. 120 ECTS are acquired in the Master programme at the University of Göttingen. There are currently the following different types of Master programmes:

  • Consecutive Master programmes scientifically deepen the contents of the undergraduate programme in the same subject (for example Master programme in agricultural science after having completed the bachelor programme in agricultural science).
  • Non-consecutive Master programmes do not build upon the contents of the previous bachelor programme. They are independent programmes whose admission requirements can be met with bachelor degrees from different subjects.
  • Special cases of non-consecutive Master programmes are the so-called Master programmes for further education. They require previous relevant work experience and are directed towards interested persons from the working field. Such Master programmes are usually connected with additional study fees.

  • In addition to the Master, there is also the Doctorate of Philosophy and Philosophiae doctor (Ph.D.), obtained upon successful conclusion of research-oriented intensive programmes or special doctoral programmes. Alternatively, a doctor's title can be conferred by the concerned faculty.

    The requirements are stated in the examination regulations of the respective course of study, in particular, which degree is required.