Other Options to Go Abroad

What is a freemover?

‘Freemovers’ are people who organise a stay abroad outside of an exchange programme.

Main differences to exchange programmes of the University of Göttingen:

  • Selection of foreign universities: Because you are not limited to the selection of partner universities of the University of Göttingen, you have more options as a freemover.
  • Tuition fees: With the University of Göttingen exchange programme, your stay abroad will be free of tuition fees. As a freemover, you will typically pay tuition fees to the host university. The amount of tuition depends upon the host university, but is usually anywhere from 4000€ to 9000€ per semester.
  • The role of Göttingen International: Since the stay abroad as a freemover would not be organised by Göttingen International, we can only limited support such as advice on funding options, intercultural preparation options and country information. Questions regarding leave of absence and recognition of modules completed abroad should be answered by your home faculty (at the University of Göttingen). See also A – Z of planning a stay abroad.

How do you find a suitable host university as a freemover??

You should invest some time in researching your options. If you have a specific university in mind, you can ask the international office of the university whether visiting students are admitted outside of exchange partnerships. An online search can also help you find a host university.
Note: The term ‘freemover’ is common in Europe and occasionally found outside of Europe. Other common terms (which may help with your internet research) are: visiting student, non-degree student, short term international student.

Organisations and agencies:

There are some organisations and agencies that offer freemover programmes. They provide advice and support with the application process and also offer their own scholarship programmes. Here are a few examples:

  • GoStralia: This organisation has a large network of partner universities in Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia.
  • Institut Ranke-Heinemann: This institute has many partner universities in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
  • International Education Centre: IEC has a large network of universities in North and South America, Africa, Oceania, Asia, and Europe.
  • Schwarzman Scholarships: Bachelor graduates between 18 and 28 with good English skills can apply for a one-year, fully-funded master's program at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China. The application deadline for the 2022-23 cycle for international applicants (without a passport from China, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan) is September 21, 2021.
  • Silk Road School: The scholarship for a Master of Contemporary Chinese Studies at Renmin University of China, Suzhou covers tuition and dormitory for two years.

Research and thesis writing stays abroad

Research stays require a lot of planning time, as they are often arranged individually with academics at the host university.
Note: Ask your faculty or advisor if they have a contact abroad through whom you might be able to arrange a research stay.

  • Fulbright Programmes: The German-American Fulbright Commission (Fulbright Germany) awards approximately 700 scholarships annually for study, research, teaching and further education stays in the USA and Germany. Through Fulbright, you can apply for a short-term programme, a stay as a foreign language assistant (teaching students!) or a one-year stay in the master’s programme at an American university.
  • DAAD Language Assistant Programmes: The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers helpful information on studying abroad, scholarships and the foreign language assistant programme.

Have you considered a virtual programme? A Virtual Exchange Programme can be a great way to enhance your studies with an international experience that you can complete from right here in Göttingen!

Study Abroad Advising Team:

Dr. Maren Büttner
China, India, South Korea, Taiwan

Email: maren.buettner@zvw.uni-goettingen.de
Phone: 0551 39-21327

For Individual Advisory Service

Patricia Missler
Europe, Israel, Russia

Email: patricia.missler@zvw.uni-goettingen.de
Phone: 0551 39-21344

For general questions

Stephen Sechrist
North America, Latin America, Oceania
Japan, Africa

Email: stephen.sechrist@zvw.uni-goettingen.de
Phone: 0551 39-21315