BiographyElías Cisneros joined the University of Göttingen in Mai 2018 as a postdoctoral research fellow. He studied economics at the University of Freiburg with a focus on development and fiscal politics. After earning his diploma he joined the Center for Development Research at the University of Bonn in 2013 where he received his doctorate in 2017. Before joining the University of Göttingen he was research fellow at the Institute for Food and Resource Economics (Bonn) where he held lectures in Environmental Economics and Policy between 2015 and 2018.
His main research interests lie in the effects of public policies on deforestation. His focus areas are Brazil, Peru and Indonesia. His current research focuses on the impact of international demand shocks and political incentives on land-use change decisions in Indonesia at a spatially disaggregated level.
See full CV
Research InterestsEnvironmental economics and policy; Political economy; Agricultural economics; Spatial econometrics
Research ProjectsCRC 990 / C10 - Determinants of regional patterns of deforestation and land use in Indonesia
- Naming and shaming for conservation: evidence from the Brazilian Amazon, 2015, PLoS ONE, 10(9):1-24, http://dx.doi.org/10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0136402, (with B. Börner, S. L. Zhou.)
- Building Adaptive Capacity in Changing Social-Ecological Systems: Integrating Knowledge in Communal Land-Use Planning in the Peruvian Amazon, 2018, Sustainability, 10(2), 511, http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/10/2/511/html, (with L. Rodrigues, T. Pequeño, M. T. Fuentes, Y. Zinngrebe).
Selected Working Papers
- Turning inside-out: spillovers from collective conservation incentives in the Peruvian Amazon, Januar 2018, (with R. Giudice, J. Börner, S. Wunder)
- Assessing Monitoring and Early Warning Systems for Food Security Risks, Dezember 2017, (with R. Weber).
- Protected area leakage, environmental enforcement, and land claims, November 2017, (with J. Börner, B. Soares-Filho).
- The cumulative effect of environmental policies on the decline in deforestation, October 2017, (with S. Heuser, J. Börner, B. Soares-Filho).
- Conservation incentives for protected area management: A spatial matching analysis of the Bolsa Floresta program, June 2016, (with B. Börner,
S. Pagiola, S. Wunder).
- Environmental effects of anti-corruption strategies, June 2016, (with K. Kis-Katos, J. Hargrave).
- Subnational REDD+ Initiatives: An effectiveness project evaluation using the Alta Floresta Case, September 2016, (with J. Correa, J. Börner, R.
Rajão, M. Costa).
- 2016: International Society for Ecological Economics (ISEE) Conference; KfW Group Frankfurt (invited)
- 2015: XXIX International Conference of Agricultural Economists; Tropentag Berlin; University of Freiburg (invited)
- 2013: International Workshop Evaluating Forest Conservation Initiatives: New Tools and Policy Needs, Barcelona; Annual Conference on Biodiversity and Economics for Conservation (BIOECON), Cambridge; Annual Congress of the International Institute of Public fnance (IIPF), Taormina
- 2012: Annual Conference of the Research Committee in Development Economics (AEL), Bonn;
- Environmental Economics and Policies (Master level, SS2016, SS2017)
- Economics on Sustainability (Master level, WS2015)
- Environmental Policy in Agriculture (Bachelor level, SS2017)
- Institutional Economics (Bachelor level, WS2015)
- Neoclassical microeconomics (Bachelor level, WS2015, WS2016)
- Foundations of Microeconomics I (Bachelor level WS2008)
- Foundations of Microeconomics II (Bachelor level, SS2009)
- Foundations of Macroeconomics II (Bachelor level, WS2010)
- Friends of ZEF Prize for the best dissertation at ZEF of the years 2014-2017
- T.W. Schultz Award for Best Oral Contributed Paper at the XXIX International Conference of Agricultural Economists (jointly with S. L. Zhou and J. Börner), http://www.iaae-agecon.org/honors/paper.html
- BMZ/GIZ Public Policy Award at the 2013 Annual Congress of the International Institute of Public Finance (jointly with J. Hargrave and K. Kis-Katos), http://www.iipf.org/ppaw13.htm
- Scholarship for the doctoral studies from the Robert Bosch Foundation
Grants and Awards