Dechent, Peter, PD Dr.
- 1991-2001 Studies of Biology, University of Mainz
- 1994 Scientific Assistant at the Biophysical Institute, University of Mainz
- 1995-1996 Scholarship of the Erasmus-Program, University of Manchester, England
- 1996 Research Fellow at the Neuroscience Department, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1997-1998 Diploma Thesis at the 'Biomedical NMR Research' at the Max-Planck-Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Göttingen; Diploma in Biology
- 1998-2001 Doctoral thesis at the 'Biomedical NMR Research'; Dr.rer.nat. (Biology)
- 2001-2003 Postdoc at the 'Biomedical NMR Research' (Laboratory of Prof. Dr. J. Frahm)
- since 2004 Head of the Research Group 'MR-Research in Neurology and Psychiatry' Medical Faculty, University Göttingen
Combination of functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) with non-invasive brain stimulation techniques like transcranial Direct / Alternating Current Stimulation (tDCS/tACS) and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) to modulate functional brain networks in healthy and pathologic conditions.
Characterization of hemodynamic processes, the basis of blood oxygenation level dependent (BOLD) changes in standard fMRI investigations.
Application of modern MR techniques to investigate the human brain in healthy and pathologic conditions. Applied methods comprise:
Major Research Interests
o Structural MRI
o Diffusion-weighted- and diffusion-tensor-imaging (DWI/DTI)
o Localized MR-spectroscopy (MRS)
Homepage Department/Research Group
Selected Recent Publications
- Helms G, Schlumbohm C, Garea-Rodriguez E, Dechent P, Fuchs E. Pharmacokinetics of the MRI contrast agent gadobutrol in common marmoset monkeys (Callithrix jacchus). J Med Primatol (accepted)
- Barke A, Preis MA, Schmidt-Samoa C, Baudewig J, Kröner-Herwig B, Dechent P. Neural correlates differ in high and low fear-avoidant chronic low back pain patients when imagining back-straining movements. J Pain 2016 May 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cabral-Calderin Y, Weinrich C, Schmidt-Samoa C, Poland E, Dechent P, Bähr M, Wilke M. Transcranial alternating current stimulation affects the BOLD signal in a frequency and task-dependent manner. Hum Brain Mapp 37(1):94-121, 2016
- Cabral-Calderin Y, Williams K, Dechent P, Opitz A, Wilke M. Transcranial alternating current stimulation modulates spontaneous low frequency fluctuations as measured with fMRI. Neuroimage 2016 Jul 5. [Epub ahead of print].
- August JM, Rothenberger A, Baudewig J, Roessner V, Dechent P. May Functional Imaging be Helpful for Behavioral Assessment in Children? Regions of Motor and Associative Cortico-Subcortical Circuits Can be Differentiated by Laterality and Rostrality. Front Hum Neurosci 9:314, 2015
- Goya-Maldonado R, Weber K, Trost S, Diekhof E, Keil M, Dechent P, Gruber O. Dissociating pathomechanisms of depression with fMRI: bottom-up or top-down dysfunctions of the reward system. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 265(1):57-66, 2015
- Dreha-Kulaczewski S, Kalscheuer V, Tzschach A, Hu H, Helms G, Brockmann K, Weddige A, Dechent P, Schlüter G, Krätzner R, Ropers HH, Gärtner J, Zirn B. A Novel SLC6A8 Mutation in a Large Family with X-Linked Intellectual Disability: Clinical and Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Data of Both Hemizygous Males and Heterozygous Females. JIMD Rep 13:91-9, 2014
- Helms G, Garea-Rodriguez E, Schlumbohm C, König J, Dechent P, Fuchs E, Wilke M. Structural and quantitative neuroimaging of the common marmoset monkey using a clinical MRI system. J Neurosci Methods 215(1):121-31, 2013
- Seseke S, Baudewig J, Ringert RH, Rebmann U, Dechent P. Monitoring brain activation changes in the early postoperative period after radical prostatectomy using fMRI. Neuroimage 78:1-6; 2013
- Dechent P, Schütze G, Helms G, Merboldt KD, Frahm J. Basal cerebral blood volume during the poststimulation undershoot in BOLD MRI of the human brain. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 31:82-9, 2011