Dobbelstein, Matthias, Prof. Dr.
Professor of Molecular Oncology
- Dr. med., University of Munich, 1993
- Postdoctoral fellow, Princeton University, USA, 1993-1996
- Group leader, University of Marburg, 1997-2004
- 2004-2005 Professor of Molecular Oncology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense
- Head of the Department of Molecular Oncology, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, since 2005
Major Research Interests
We are trying to understand the response of cancer cells to chemotherapy. In particular, we are analyzing the impaired replication of DNA and the damage response that results from injury to DNA. Our focus is on the signaling cascades driven by DNA damage, and on the activation of the tumor suppressor p53. Technologies include the use of large scale siRNA transfection, followed by automated fluorescence microscopy, and the analysis of DNA replication by incorporation of artificial nucleosides. As a disease model, we are investigating the response of colorectal cancer to therapy. On top of classical, DNA damaging chemotherapeutics, we are evaluating other broadly acting, yet non-genotoxic drug candidates, e. g. inhibitors of histone deacetylases and heat shock proteins. On long term, we are aiming at improving the response of tumor cells to chemotherapy by combining traditional and targeted therapeutic approaches.
Some of my lectures are available as youtube videos, at the channel mdobbelstein.
Please see http://www.youtube.com/user/mdobbelstein?feature=results_main.
- a playlist on Quantitative PCR is found at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL76D20BC49637F358&feature=plcp
- a playlist on PCR trouble shooting is at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33F4685DAE70AA09&feature=plcp
- a playlist on How to write a thesis can be found at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCB9D9763E3FA22BB&feature=plcp
Homepage Department/Research Group
Selected Recent Publications
- Wienken M, Moll UM, Dobbelstein M.: Mdm2 as a chromatin modifier. J Mol Cell Biol. 2017 Feb 1;9(1):74-80. doi: 10.1093/jmcb/mjw046.
- Kramer D, Stark N, Schulz-Heddergott R, Erytch N, Edmunds S, Roßmann L, Bastians H, Concin N, Moll UM, Dobbelstein M: Strong antitumor synergy between DNA crosslinking and HSP90 inhibition causes massive premitotic DNA fragmentation in ovarian cancer cells. Cell Death Differ. 2017 Feb;24(2):300-316. doi: 10.1038/cdd.2016.124. Epub 2016 Nov 11.
- Klusmann I, Rodewald S, Müller L, Friedrich M, Wienken M, Li Y, Schulz-Heddergott R, Dobbelstein M: p53 Activity Results in DNA Replication Fork Processivity. Cell Rep. 2016 Nov 8;17(7):1845-1857. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2016.10.036.
- Kari V, Mansour WY, Raul SK, Baumgart SJ, Mund A, Grade M, Sirma H, Simon R, Will H, Dobbelstein M, Dikomey E, Johnsen SA: Loss of CHD1 causes DNA repair defects and enhances prostate cancer therapeutic responsiveness. EMBO Rep. 2016 Nov;17(11):1609-1623. Epub 2016 Sep 5.
- Sriraman A, Li Y, Dobbelstein M: Fortifying p53 - beyond Mdm2 inhibitors. Aging (Albany NY). 2016 Sep 29;8(9):1836-1837. doi: 10.18632/aging.101073. No abstract available.
- Sriraman A, Radovanovic M, Wienken M, Najafova Z, Li Y, Dobbelstein M: Cooperation of Nutlin-3a and a Wip1 inhibitor to induce p53 activity. Oncotarget. 2016 May 31;7(22):31623-38. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.9302.
- Krönung SK, Beyer U, Chiaramonte ML, Dolfini D, Mantovani R, Dobbelstein M: LTR12 promoter activation in a broad range of human tumor cells by HDAC inhibition. Oncotarget. 2016 Jun 7;7(23):33484-97. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.9255.
- Wienken M, Dickmanns A, Nemajerova A, Kramer D, Najafova Z, Weiss M, Karpiuk O, Kassem M, Zhang Y, Lozano G, Johnsen SA, Moll UM, Zhang X, Dobbelstein M: MDM2 Associates with Polycomb Repressor Complex 2 and Enhances Stemness-Promoting Chromatin Modifications Independent of p53. Mol Cell. 2016 Jan 7;61(1):68-83. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2015.12.008. Epub 2015 Dec 31.