Vision Talks / Panel Discussion
One key element of the International Alumni Day on Saturday, May 30, 2015 is a series of "Vision Talks" starting at 15:00 h at the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, followed by a panel discussion. Distinguished guest speakers holding strategic positions in science-related foundations or private enterprises have been invited for this event.
Vision Talks (15:00-18:00 h)
The vision talks will include a personal view by the speakers on current and expected future developments in their field with reference to the professional perspectives of our alumni as a generation of international young scientists seeking responsibility in leading positions.
- Prof. Jochen Maas, Sanofi, General Manager R&D Germany, Head R&D German Hub:
'Quo vadis pharmaceutical industry? Ways to overcome the innovation gap'
- Tamara Darsow, PhD, Vice President, Research Programs, American Diabetes Association, Washington DC.
'The role of non-profit and private organizations in disease-specific research and innovation'
- Prof. Jan Philipp Reemtsma, professor of German literature, founder and director of the Hamburg Institute for Social Research, sponsor and promoter of the Max Planck Foundation.
'Is there a "specific moral responsibility of science"?'
Panel Discussion "Scientists after the PhD - Perspectives and Challenges" (18:00-19:00)
(moderated by Prof. Stefan Treue)
For this discussion, the speakers presenting the vision talks will be joined by three additional guests on the panel:
- Prof. Michael Madeja, Managing Director, Universities and Neurosciences, Hertie Foundation
- Bettina Goerner, Alumna Molecular Biology, Managing Director Corporate Markets / Databases, Springer Science+Business Media
- Dr. Manuela Schmidt, Alumna Neurosciences, Emmy Noether Group Leader, MPI for Experimental Medicine
All current and former students and faculty members, colleagues and friends of the Molecular Biology/Neuroscience programs are cordially invited.