The research project "e-Mobilität vorleben" aims at developing and implementing new business models for the use of electric mobility in establishing a sustainable mobility framework for lower Saxony. Within this context, the project puts special focus on the mobility needs of people living in rural areas as the implementation of electric mobility in more remote areas will be crucial in reaching the German Federal Government's targets in the field of electric mobility by 2020. Since the acceptance of electric mobility as a viable alternative to more traditional modes of transportation is rather low, the project will showcase innovative and sustainable mobility concepts to improve the public perception. To demonstrate the benefits of electric mobility, sustainable business models for its implementation will be tested both in cooperation with corporations and citizens. In this regard, dominant business models for the implementation of electric mobility are non-existent to date.
In general, the project pursues the following objectives:
- Reduce transport emissions: As the transport sector accounts for about one-fifth of greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) in the European Union, increasing the proportion of EVs in use has a great potential for reducing such emissions.
- Develop a suitable charging infrastructure: As the main reasons for users concerns about electric mobility are the limited range and the underdeveloped charging infrastructure we develop, a cost-efficient, user-friendly and sustainable charging infrastructure within the frame of the project.
- Increase the acceptance of electro mobility: Developing sustainable business models for the implementation of electric mobility will be essential to improving consumer acceptance and ultimately achieving the goals of this research project.
- Increase the efficiency of means of transportation used: Examine various incentive systems to develop a sustainable regional mobility concept for an efficient use of provided means of transportation.
- Develop education programs: Developing of education programs for knowledge transfer in the field of electric mobility.