Dr. Kathrin M. Demmler was a GlobalFood member from 2014-2017. The information on this site reflects the status at the point of leaving GlobalFood.
Occupation after leaving GlobalFood
Imperial College London, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Centre for Environmental Policy
Dr. Kathrin M. Demmler
Malnutrition in all its forms
[Chair of International Food Economics and Rural Development;
Supervisor: Prof. Matin Qaim,
GlobalFood Subproject: B3]
- 04/2014 - 03/2017 Ph.D. Agricultural Sciences, University of Goettingen, Germany
Thesis: "Nutrition Transition in Urban Kenya: The Role of Supermarkets and Nutritional Knowledge"
- 10/2009 - 05/2013 M.Sc. Nutritional Sciences, Justus-Liebig-University Giessen, Germany
Thesis: "Correlation of Food Intake, Overweight and Pre-diabetes: A Study in Tanzania"
- 09/2010 - 07/2011 Exchange with Ghent University, Belgium
M.Sc. Program "Nutrition and Rural Development", Faculty of Bioscience and Engineering
- 10/2005 - 12/2008 B.Sc. Ecotrophology, Justus-Liebig-University Giessen, Germany
Thesis: "Food Security and Climate Change in Tanzania"
- 04/2014 - 06/2017 Research Associate, RTG 1666 GlobalFood, University of Goettingen, Germany
- 08/2016 - 09/2016 Visiting Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC
- 04/2015 - 07/2015 Administrator of Field Work and Data Collection, Central Region, Kenya
- 10/2013 - 03/2014 Research Assistant, joint project by FAO and Justus-Liebig-University Giessen on "Improving the dietary intakes and nutritional status of infants and young children through improved food security and complementary feeding", Kasungu, Malawi
- 07/2012 - 10/2013 Student Assistant and Lecturer, Justus-Liebig-University Giessen, Germany
- 04/2012 - 07/2012 Administrator of Field Work and Data Collection for the Master Thesis, Moshi, Tanzania
- Demmler, Klasen, Nzuma, Qaim (2017) Supermarket purchase contributes to nutrition-related non-communicable diseases in urban Kenya. PLoS One 12(9): e0185148.
- Demmler (2017) Nutrition transition in urban Kenya: The role of supermarkets and nutritional knowledge. (Doctoral dissertation). University of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany.
- Demmler, Ecker, Qaim (2017) Supermarket shopping and nutritional outcomes: A panel data analysis for urban Kenya. World Development; in press. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2017.07.018
- Debela, Demmler, Rischke, Qaim (2017) Maternal nutrition knowledge and child nutritional outcomes in urban Kenya. Appetite; 116: 518-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2017.05.042
- Demmler, Klasen, Nzuma, Qaim (2017) Supermarket purchase contributes to nutrition-related non-communicable diseases in Kenya. 3rd Hidden Hunger Congress, Stuttgart, Germany.
(Awarded 1st Poster Prize)
- Minos, Butzlaff, Demmler, Rischke (2016) Economic growth, climate change, and obesity. Current Obesity Reports; 5(4):441-448. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13679-016-0234-7
Complete CV here