- Postwar American Literature
- Creative Nonfiction
- American Regionalism and Local Color
- Cultural Studies
- 20th- and 21st-Century Literature (Legacies of Modernism; Postmodernism)
|2014-2017||Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Oxford|
University Education and Degrees
|2017||D.Phil. in English, Mansfield College, University of Oxford |
Thesis: "Straight from the Heartland: New Sincerity and the American Midwest"
|2012||M.A. English: Issues in Modern Culture, University College London|
|2011||B.A. English Language and Culture, University of Amsterdam|
Fellowships, Scholarships, and Grants
|2016-2017||Supernumerary Research and Teaching Fellowship, Rothermere American Institute, University of Oxford|
|2015-2016||Esmond Harmsworth Scholarship in American Literature, Rothermere American Institute, University of Oxford|
|2015||Mansfield College Graduate Award|
|2014-2015||Harry Ransom Center Dissertation Fellowship Supported by the Creekmore and Adele Fath Charitable Foundation and the University of Texas at Austin Office of Graduate Studies|
|2014||European Association for American Studies Postgraduate Travel Grant|
|2013||Fundatie van de Vrijvrouwe van Renswoude te 's-Gravenhage Scholarship|
|2012-2013||Prince Bernhard Fellowship|
|2012||Dr. Hendrik Muller Vaderlandsch Fonds Scholarship|
|2009-2010||Harting Scholarship, Trinity College Dublin|
- "Wallace and Regionalism." The Cambridge Companion to David Foster Wallace. Ed. Ralph Clare. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2017 [under contract].
- "Cruel Inventions: George Saunders's Literary Darkenfloxx(TM)." George Saunders: Critical Essays. Eds. Philip Coleman and Steve Gronert Ellerhoff. New York and London: Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming Apr. 2017. 173-188. Print.
- "'A Place to Fear and Love': The Imagined Heartland of David Foster Wallace's The Broom of the System." Critical Insights: Midwestern Literature. Ed. Ronald Primeau. Ipswich, MA: Salem Press, 2013. 94-108. Print.
Selected Academic Papers
- "Against the Grain: The Regional Dimensions of Jonathan Franzen's Career Mobility." Flows and Undercurrents: Dimensions of (Im)mobility in North America. John F. Kennedy Institute, Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, DE. 2-4 June 2016.
- "Rough Stuff: Authorial Cruelty in the Work of George Saunders." American Stuff: American Literature Symposium. Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK. 14 May 2016.
- "David Foster Wallace's Views on the American Interior." American Literature Research Seminar. Rothermere American Institute, Oxford, UK. 28 May 2015.
- "'Limits and Rituals': The Neomonastic Communities of David Foster Wallace's Postsecular Narratives." Infinite Wallace/Wallace Infini Conference. Universities of Paris III (Sorbonne Nouvelle) and Paris VII (Diderot), Paris, FR, 11-13 Sep. 2014.
- "'A Happiness Almost Akin to Seeing Her': The Real and Narrative Spaces of Desire and Encounter in Orhan Pamuk's The Museum of Innocence." The Fourth International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Emotional Geographies. Groningen, NL, 1-3 July 2013.
Teaching at the University of Goettingen
- Thomas Pynchon's Mason & Dixon (WiSe 2017/18)
- Straight from the Heartland: New Sincerity and the American Midwest (SoSe 2017)
Past Courses at Other Institutions
- Reading American Regions: From Freeman's New England to Stegner's Wild West (Hilary Term 2017, Christ Church, University of Oxford)
- Contemporary American Creative Nonfiction (Hilary Term 2016, Mansfield College, University of Oxford)
- America After 1945 Lecture Series (Michaelmas Term 2015/2016, English Faculty, University of Oxford)
- The American Novel after 1945: Majority and Minority Traditions (Michaelmas Term 2014, English Faculty, University of Oxford)