Ehrenreich, Hannelore, Prof. Dr. Dr.
- 1981 Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Munich
- 1983 Elective Period, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England
- 1985 Guest Lecturer, University of the Philippines, Manila
- 1985 - 1986 Clinical Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Munich
- 1987 Graduation (Medicine), University of Munich
- 1987 - 1988 Residency, Department of Neurology, University of Munich
- 1989 Doctor of Medicine, University of Munich
- 1989 - 1991 Postdoctoral Fellow NIAID, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
- 1992 - 1994 Residency, Departments of Neurology and Psychiatry, University of Göttingen
- 1994 Habilitation (Neurology and Psychiatry)
- 1994 - present Head, Clinical Neuroscience, Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine
- 1995 - present Consultant & Professor of Neurology & Psychiatry, University of Göttingen
- 2000 - 2002 Vice President, University of Göttingen
- 2008 Professor of Biology and Psychology (Honorary), University of Göttingen
Major Research Interests
(1) Molecular-cellular basis of neuropsychiatric diseases with focus on mechanisms of disease and on endogenous neuroprotection/neuroregeneration (erythropoietin/EPO variants)
(2) Preclinical and clinical research on neuroprotection/neuroregeneration in acute (ischemia/hypoxia, neurotrauma) and chronic diseases (schizophrenia, autism, MS, alcoholism)
(3) Phenotype-based genetic association studies (PGAS) as a tool to understand the genotype contribution to (disease) phenotypes
Homepage Department/Research Group
Selected Recent Publications
- Ehrenreich H et al (2016): OTTO: A new strategy to extract mental disease-relevant combinations of GWAS hits from individuals; Mol Psychiatry, doi: 10.1038/mp.2016.208.
- Castillo-Gomez E et al (2016): All naturally occurring autoantibodies against the NMDA receptor subunit NR1 have pathogenic potential irrespective of epitope and immunoglobulin class. Mol Psychiatry, doi: 10.1038/mp.2016.125.
- Hassouna I et al (2016): Revisiting adult neurogenesis and the role of erythropoietin for neuronal and oligodendroglial differentiation in the hippocampus. Mol Psychiatry, doi: 10.1038/mp.2015.212.
- Stepniak B et al (2015): Accumulated common variants in the broader fragile X gene family modulate autistic phenotypes. EMBO Mol Med 7(12):1565-79.
- Stepniak B et al (2014): Accumulated environmental risk determining age at schizophrenia onset, Lancet Psychiatry, 1(6):444-53. doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(14)70379-7.
- PGC (2014): Biological insights from 108 schizophrenia-associated genetic loci; Nature 511(7510):421-7.
- Hammer C et al (2014): Neuropsychiatric disease relevance of circulating anti-NMDA receptor autoantibodies depends on blood-brain barrier integrity. Mol Psychiatry, doi: 10.1038/mp.2013.110. Epub ahead of print.
- Hagemeyer N et al (2012): A myelin gene causative of a catatonia-depression syndrome upon aging; EMBO Mol Med 4:528-39
- Ribbe K et al (2011): Prediction of the risk of comorbid alcoholism in schizophrenia by interaction of common genetic variants in the corticotropin releasing factor system; JAMA Psychiatry 68: 1247-56.
- Begemann M et al (2010): Complexin2 gene polymorphisms modify cognitive performance in schizophrenia. JAMA Psychiatry 67: 879-88.