Table of Contents
- Application Prerequisites
- Formal PCS Application
- Enrollment at Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
To get a PCS admission, a master's degree in computer science, computer engineering, telecommunication engineering, communication engineering or an equivalent research direction is required. Normally, achievements in the following areas with the minimum amount of 120 ECTS credit points have to be proven by transcript:
- Practical Computer Science
(especially operating systems, distributed systems, software technology, databases and information systems, telematics)
- Theoretical Computer Science
(especially algorithms, logic design theory, complexity theory, coding and cryptology, formal logic and semantics, computer algebra, artificial intelligence)
- Technical Computer Science
(in particular expertise in the field of hardware)
If the prerequisites are fulfilled, you can choose a research area you are interested in and contact the head of the corresponding computer science related research group (see list of examiners). As first step, you need to discuss your funding issues with your future supervisor. Upon agreement on funding and supervision you can start with the formal PCS application.
There is no special application period for the admission as a PhD student so that you can apply at any time. For the formal application the following documents are required:
- Cover Sheet: first page of the application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Certificates and Official Transcript/ Record of Study: certificates such as B. Sc. and M. Sc. , detailed documentation of your academic work, i.e. list of courses at all colleges/universities attended; grades if applicable
- PhD Research Proposal: intended research area including your prospective contributions to the group, a proposal for a PhD work
- PCS Admission Form: Please fill out this form in cooperation with your supervisor.
- Graduate declaration
The following documents are not mandatory, but are recommended to additionally support your application.
- Two Reference Letters: it is recommended to submit signed letters of two academic teachers who are able to evaluate your personality, academic experience, and intellectual merit e.g. of your Master's thesis supervisor
- Financial Statement: approval of financial support in case of individual scholarship (see Funding)
- Proof of Proficiency in English
All documents must be in English or German. Please submit only one pdf file (max. 2MB) containing all of your application documents via email to pcs[at]informatik[dot]uni-goettingen[dot]de. Certified hard copies of documents are not required for the application procedure.
- The PCS Admission Form signed by your supervisor committee and the faculty's dean.
The formal university enrollment process can be found here: Enrollment in 5 steps
note: As student of the PCS programme, i.e. both, as internal or as external student, you need to be enrolled during the whole time from the beginning of your PhD studies to the final PhD defense.
In general, a PhD student in Germany needs to deal with the funding issues himself. There are several possible options for PhD students to receive funding during the PhD studies. The following table shows a short overview of possible funding opportunities:
|Research Assistant Position||