Frequently asked questions concerning change of subject
There are numerous influencing factors which could turn a course of studies selected on the basis of certain expectations, hopes and wishes into a problem and make you desire a change or an alternative. In such cases it is important for you to make a decision, either to continue your degree programme with dedication, or to reorient yourself.
The Central Student Advisory Service of Göttingen University will be glad to assist you in this important decision-making process.
Application and enrolment
You can also discuss the actual acceptance and transfer of your examination prerequisites already completed with your new subject-specific advisors. After the change has been effected, the examination office of your new faculty will take care of the transfer within the examination management system.
Admission to higher semesters may also be limited. In such cases be sure to discuss your plans with your subject-specific advisors before you lodge your application, so that you apply for admission to the right subject semester. For any subject with limited admission, you can apply for admission to the first and to one higher subject semester.
For subjects with open admissionyou can apply directly for a transfer during the period of enrolment.
The limitation of admission for various subjects may be changed in higher semesters. In such cases it could be possible that you need no longer apply for a university place if you have the necessary credits for completed examination prerequisites transferred.
If you make a new start in the first subject semester, you must also observe the date of the possible start of your programme. Subjects for dual-subject Bachelor's degree programmes generally only start in the winter semester.
Please note that enrolment for some subjects requires evidence of language proficiency or having passed an aptitude test.
- Contact with subject-specific advisors
- Admission requirements
- Date for a possible start of studies
- Information about the subject and content of study
- Study and examination regulations
- Catalogues of modules
- The study advisory service of the faculties will assist you in case of difficulties with your subject, in planning your schedule of studies or in developing perspectives for the time following your (Bachelor?s) degree programme.
- The Central Student Advisory Service offers personal counselling and interdisciplinary workshops about changing subjects and reorientation. Here, you have an opportunity to reflect on your first experiences of study and to develop suitable strategies and alternatives, if necessary.
Other useful links for research:
Your start in the new subject should also be planned. Depending on the specific study and examination regulations, some modules may be required which are only taught during the winter semester. If passing any of these modules is a prerequisite for further study, a rapid continuation of studies cannot necessarily be ensured in the case of admission for the summer semester. Please discuss your further schedule of studies with the subject-specific advisors in connection with your transfer of credits.