Daniel, Rolf, Prof. Dr.
- 2013 - present: Speaker "North German Center of Microbial Genomics" (Norddeutsches Zentrum für Mikrobielle Genomforschung, NZMG)
- 05/2012 - present: Director of the Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Georg August University Göttingen
- 02/2012 - present: Full Professor (W3) Genomic and Applied Microbiology, Head of the Dept. of Genomic and Applied Microbiology & Göttingen Genomics Laboratory, Georg August University Göttingen
- 2013: Norddeutscher Wissenschaftspreis (Northern German Science Award)
- 05/2008 - 01/2012: Acting Director of the Department of Genomic and Applied Microbiology and Head of the "Göttingen Genomics Laboratory", Georg August University Göttingen
- 06/1995 - 05/1996: Research Fellow, University of California (Berkeley, USA), Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Head: Prof. Dr. Randy Schekman
- 05/1994 - 05/1995: Research Fellow, Georg August University Göttingen, Department of Genetics and Microbiology
Major Research Interests
Research foci are cultivation-independent nucleic acids-based metagenomics and metatranscriptomics of complex microbial assemblages and recovery of novel genes and gene products from environmental samples such as soil, sediments, ice, and biofilms. The metagenomic screenings comprised function-based as well as sequence-based approaches. This work has led, i.e., to the successful identification and characterization proteases, cellulases, oxidoreductases, dehydratases, lipases, and DNA polymerases from metagenomes. To gain insights into the genomes of the uncultivated microorganisms and to determine metabolic potential and key functions of microbial communities in the studied environments direct sequencing and annotation of metagenomic DNA and cDNA (mRNA), and comparative genomics are carried out. Other lines of research include whole-genome sequencing, transcriptomics and functional genomics of archaea, bacteria, and microbial communities. The majority of the analyzed organisms is of industrial importance or pathogenic. The group also develops novel bioinformatic tools for data analysis and visualization.
Homepage Department/Research Group
Selected Recent Publications