Werner, Hauke, PD Dr.*
- 2014: Habilitation in Neurosciences, University of Göttingen
- 2008-present: Group Leader, Department of Neurogenetics, Max-Planck-Institute of Experimental Medicine, Göttingen
- 2003-2008: Research Fellow, Department of Neurogenetics, Max-Planck-Institute of Experimental Medicine, Göttingen
- 2001-2003: Postdoc, Yale University, New Haven / USAy
- 2001: PhD, Center of Molecular Biology Heidelberg (ZMBH), University of Heidelberg
Major Research Interests
Myelination of neuronal axons is beneficial, as it markedly accelerates the transmission of information in the nervous system. Indeed, the evolutionary innovation of myelin in ancient fish has facilitated the success of vertebrates. However, myelin is vulnerable to inflammation or genetic perturbation that affect its long-term integrity. This is best illustrated in acquired myelin diseases, heritable white matter disorders (leukodystrophies), or demyelinating neuropathies. The Research Group 'Neurochemistry' investigates the molecular and evolutionary mechanisms of myelination and the maintenance of myelin integrity. We combine the tools of mouse genetics, molecular cell biology, and biochemistry, including systematic proteome analysis, to study myelin in health and disease.
Myelin proteome analysis
Relationship between myelin structure and axonal function
Pathobiology of heritable white matter disorders (leukodystrophies)
Homepage Department/Research Group
Selected Recent Publications
- Lüders KA, Patzig J, Simons M, Nave KA, Werner HB (2017) Genetic dissection of oligodendroglial and neuronal Plp1 function in a novel mouse model of spastic paraplegia type 2. Glia, epub ahead of print.
- Patzig J, Erwig MS, Tenzer S, Kusch K, Dibaj P, Möbius W, Goebbels S, Schaeren-Wiemers N, Nave KA, Werner HB (2016) Septin/anillin filaments scaffold central nervous system myelin to accelerate nerve conduction. Elife 5:e17119.
- Thakurela S, Garding A, Jung RB, Müller C, Goebbels S, White R, Werner HB*, Tiwari VK* (2016) The transcriptome of mouse central nervous system myelin. Nature Scientific Reports 6:25828. *, shared correspondence.
- Möbius W*, Nave KA*, Werner HB* (2016) Electron microscopy of myelin: structure preservation by high-pressure freezing. Brain Research 1641:91. *, shared correspondence.
- Patzig J, Kusch K, Fledrich R, Eichel MA, Lüders KA, Möbius W, Sereda MW, Nave KA*, Martini R, Werner HB* (2016) Proteolipid protein modulates preservation of peripheral axons and premature death when myelin protein zero is lacking. Glia 64:155. *, shared correspondence.
- Epplen DB, Prukop T, Nientiedt T, Albrecht P, Arlt FA, Stassart RM, Kassmann CM, Methner A, Nave KA, Werner HB*, Sereda MW* (2015) Curcumin Therapy in a Plp1 Transgenic Mouse Model of Pelizaeus-Merzbacher Disease. Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology 2:787. *, shared correspondence.
- Nave KA*, Werner HB* (2014) Myelination of the nervous system: mechanisms and functions. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 30:503. *, shared correspondence.
- Mita S, de Monasterio-Schrader P, Fünfschilling U, Kawasaki T, Mizuno H, Iwasato T, Nave KA, Werner HB*, Hirata T* (2015) Transcallosal projections require glycoprotein M6-dependent neurite growth and guidance. Cerebral Cortex 25:4111. *, shared correspondence.
- Werner HB (2013) Do we have to reconsider the evolutionary emergence of myelin? Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience 7:217.
- de Monasterio-Schrader P, Patzig J, Möbius W, Barrette B, Wagner TL, Kusch K, Edgar JM, Brophy PJ, Werner HB (2013) Uncoupling of neuroinflammation from axonal degeneration in mice lacking the myelin protein tetraspanin-2 (TSPAN2). Glia 61:1832.
- Nawaz S, Schweitzer J, Jahn O, Werner HB (2013) Molecular evolution of myelin basic protein, an abundant structural myelin component. Glia 61:1364.
- de Monasterio-Schrader P, Jahn O, Tenzer S, Wichert SP, Patzig J, Werner HB (2012) Systematic approaches to central nervous system myelin. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 69:2879.
- Patzig J, Jahn O, Tenzer S, Wichert SP, de Monasterio-Schrader P, Rosfa S, Kuharev J, Yan K, Bormuth I, Bremer J, Aguzzi A, Orfaniotou F, Hesse D, Schwab MH, Möbius W, Nave KA, Werner HB (2011) Quantitative and integrative proteome analysis of peripheral nerve myelin identifies novel myelin proteins and candidate neuropathy loci. Journal of Neuroscience 31:16369.
- Werner HB, Jahn O (2010) Myelin matters: Proteomic insights into white matter disorders. Expert Review of Proteomics 7:159.
- Jahn O, Tenzer S, Werner HB (2009) Myelin proteomics: molecular anatomy of an insulating sheath. Molecular Neurobiology 40:55.
- Itoh T, Erdmann KS, Roux A, Habermann B, Werner H, De Camilli P (2005). Dynamin and the actin cytoskeleton cooperatively regulate plasma membrane invagination by BAR and F-BAR proteins. Developmental Cell 9:791.