Behr, Rüdiger, (apl.) Prof. Dr.
Head of Platform Degenerative Diseases, German Primate Center
- 1995 Diploma in Biology, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität (WWU) Münster, Germany
- 1998 PhD in Biology, Institute of Reproductive Medicine, WWU Münster, Germany
- 1999 - 2005 Post Docs at the Institute of Reproductive Medicine of the WWU Münster; the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Department of Genetics, Philadelphia, PA, USA; and the Institute of Anatomy, Developmental Biology, University of Essen, Germany
- 2005 - 2008 Head of the Stem Cell Biology Junior Research Group, German Primate Center, Göttingen, Germany
- 2008 - 2015 Head of Stem Cell Biology Unit, German Primate Center, Göttingen, Germany
- Since 2016 Head of Platform Degenerative Diseases, German Primate Center, Göttingen, Germany
Major Research Interests
We are interested in the generation, characterization and genetic modification of primate pluripotent stem cells. We generated embryonic stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells from the common marmoset monkey and compare these pluripotent stem cell types with natural monkey preimplantation embryos and pre-meiotic germ cells. In addition to this developmental aspect we use pluripotent stem cells in combination with gene editing technology to establish genetic disease models and to test, in collaboration with our partners, cell replacement therapies in pre-clinically relevant settings. Here we currently focus as a member of the Deutsches Zentrum für Herzkreislaufforschung (DZHK) on cardiovascular aspects.
Homepage Department / Research Group
Selected Recent Publications