Morgenstern, Burkhard, Prof. Dr.
Professor of Bioinformatics
- 1993 Diploma (Mathematics), LMU München
- 1996 PhD (Dr. Math.), Universität Bielefeld
- 1997 - 1998 Visiting Scientist, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA
- 1998 - 2000 RPR/Aventis, Dagenham, Essex, UK
- 2000 - 2001 MIPS, MPI für Biochemie, Martinsried and GSF, Neuherberg
- 2001 - 2002 Group leader and faculty member at International Graduate School in Bioinformatics and Genome Research, Univertität Bielefeld
- Since 2002 Professor of Bioinformatics, Universität Göttingen
Major Research Interests
The focus of our research work is algorithm and software development for nucleic acid and protein sequence analysis; the multiple-alignment program "DIALIGN" and the gene-finding program "AUGUSTUS" are widely used tools that have been developed in our department. More recently, we started to work on alignment-free approaches to comparative sequence analysis, here we developed the tools "kmacs" and "spaced words".
Other areas of research in our department include: metabolomics and mass, spectroscopy data analysis, phylogeny reconstruction, metagenomics, motif discovery and remote homology detection using machine learning methods, genome annotation for prokaryotes, recombinations in viral genomes and HIV classification using coalescent theory.
Homepage Department/Research Group
Selected Recent Publications
- Leimeister C-A, Sohrabi-Jahromi S, Morgenstern B (2017) Fast and Accurate Phylogeny Reconstruction using Filtered Spaced-Word Matches Bioinformatics 33, 971-979.
- Hahn L, Leimeister C-A, Ounit R, Lonardi S, Morgenstern B (2016) rasbhari: Optimizing spaced seeds for database searching, read mapping and alignmentfree sequence comparison. PLOS Computational Biology 12(10): e1005107.
- Morgenstern B, B Zhu B, Horwege S, Leimeister C-A (2015) Estimating evolutionary distances between genomic sequences from spaced-word matches. Algorithms for Molecular Biology 10: 5.
- Kaever A, Landesfeind M, Feussner K, Mosblech A, Heilmann I, Morgenstern B, Feussner I, Meinicke P (2015) MarVis-Pathway: integrative and exploratory pathway analysis of non-targeted metabolomics data. Metabolomics 11: 764-777.
- Leimeister C-A, Morgenstern B (2014) kmacs: the k-Mismatch Average Common Substring Approach to alignment-free sequence comparison. Bioinformatics 30: 2000-2008.
- Leimeister C-A, Boden M, Horwege S, Lindner S, Morgenstern B (2014) Fast alignment-free sequence comparison using spaced-word frequencies, Bioinformatics 30, 1991 - 1999
- Al Ait L, Yamak Z, Morgenstern B (2013) DIALIGN at GOBICS - multiple sequence alignment using various sources of external information. Nucleic Acids Res 41, W3-W7
- Corel E, Pitschi F, Morgenstern B (2010) A min-cut Algorithm for the Consistency Problem in Multiple Sequence Alignment.Bioinformatics 26: 1015-102
- Philippe et al (2009) Phylogenomics restores traditional views on deep animal relationships. Curr Biol 19:706-712
- Meinicke P, Lingner T, Kaever A, Feussner K, Gobel C, Feussner I, Karlovsky P, Morgenstern B (2008) Metabolite-based clustering and visualization of mass spectrometry data using one-dimensional self-organizing maps. Algorithms Mol Biol 3:9
- Subramanian AR, Kaufmann M, Morgenstern B (2008) DIALIGN-TX: greedy and progressive approaches for segment-based multiple sequence alignment. Algorithms Mol Biol 3:6
- The Tribolium Genome Sequencing Consortium (2008) The genome of the beetle developmental model and pest Tribolium castaneum. Nature 452:949-955