East Asian Studies/Chinese as a Foreign Language (B.A.) (2 subjects)
Degree programme title: East Asian Studies/Chinese as a Foreign Language (B.A.) (2 subjects)
Final Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Standard period of study: 6 semesters
Starting semester: winter semester
Language of the programme: German
Admission to the winter semester 2018/19:
- 1st subject semester: open admission (enrolment without previous application)
- 2nd to 6th subject semester: open admission (enrolment without previous application)
- International applicants (non-EU): open admission (application to International Student Services)
Description of the programme offered:
The course objectives are divided into the fields of language training and the teaching of basic regional and historical knowledge.
The programme provides basic qualifications in modern Chinese standard language (both spoken and written) as a prerequisite for the mastery of everyday communication. The fifth semester is spent at a Chinese or Taiwanese partner university.
One great strength of the Göttingen Sinology Department is its excellent language training programme. The language is taught exclusively by Chinese native speakers and in groups of less than 15 students. To enable you to consolidate and extend your language proficiency also in a Chinese-speaking environment, we will provide you with intensive support in preparing and implementing your study abroad. Through long-term cooperation with universities in mainland China and Taiwan and regular monitoring of the learning progress achieved in these countries, we ensure optimal language training for our students also during their study abroad.
Basic regional and historical knowledge:
The students acquire basic regional and historical knowledge (geography, climate, natural resources, customs, government, history), which enables them to take up teaching assignments in the future.
Fields of work:
The training during the Bachelor's degree programme in East Asian Studies/Chinese as a foreign language prepares the student for:
- Teaching assignments in the Chinese language, for which an in-depth knowledge of the language and a basic knowledge about the country and the history of modern China inclusive of first experience in both studies and everyday life in situ are a prerequisite.
- Translation tasks in commercial enterprises, media, tourism, foundations and cultural exchanges, libraries and publishing houses.
The selection of the combination of subjects plays an important role in the preparation for a future professional career, in the fulfilment of the requirements of the area of professionalization, and the acquisition of core competencies. It is recommendable to use the Student Advisory Service.
The knowledge of English and one other modern foreign language is recommended with at least at the level B2 of the common European framework of reference for languages.