RTG 1666: Transformation of Global Agri-Food Systems
Welcome to the Research Training Group (RTG) “GlobalFood”
Transformation of Global Agri-Food Systems:
Trends, Driving Forces, and Implications for Developing Countries
Global agricultural and food markets are currently undergoing a rapid transformation. Recent trends include:
- Trade in high-value food products is growing
- Consumers are increasingly aware of food quality and food safety issues
- “Westernization” of diets and lifestyles in developing countries
- Supermarkets are increasingly dominating supply chains from farm to fork
- The role of food labels, standards, and certification systems is growing
- Contract agriculture is gaining in importance, including in the small farm sector of developing countries
The ramifications for industry structure, competitiveness, and social welfare will be far-reaching but are not yet well understood. GlobalFood combines excellent research on these issues with an innovative training program for doctoral and postdoctoral researchers. The RTG is funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
PostDoc position: Application until 22 Jan 2018
The Georg-August-Universität Göttingen offers a PostDoc position in Agricultural / Development Economics. The PostDoc will have the possibility to join the Research Training Group (RTG) GlobalFood, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
More information and online application portal
GlobalFood Symposium 2017
Göttingen, 28-29 April 2017
The Third GlobalFood Symposium will be held on 28-29 April 2017 in Göttingen (Germany). The aim of this Symposium is to discuss new research findings and policy challenges related to the global agri-food system transformation. The two-day event will feature plenary sessions, contributed paper sessions, and posters. Confirmed speakers include Jenny Aker (USA), Kym Anderson (Australia), Alan de Brauw (USA), Miet Maertens (Belgium), Jill McCluskey (USA), Marie Ruel (USA), Tom Reardon (USA), Jo Swinnen (Belgium), Maximo Torero (USA), and many more.
Global Food Symposium 2017