‘Master of Arts’ (M.A.) in Development Economics
The English-language Master of Arts in Development Economics is jointly offered by the Department of Economics (Faculty of Business and Economics) and the Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (Faculty of Agricultural Sciences). It builds on the successful Master of Arts in International Economics and Master of Arts in Agribusiness; these programmes already had a strong specialization in development issues. This research-oriented master programme now offers a comprehensive four semester programme dedicated solely to the study of development economics issues.
Learn more about how our Incomings enjoy their studies at the faculty:
- The Master's Programme in Development Economics is accredited (ZEvA Hanover).
- Language: English
- Standard period of study is four semesters.
- Enrollment is possible every winter semester and summer semester.
- Application period for studies beginning in the winter semester: 1 April to 15 May of the same calendar year
- Application period for studies beginning in the summer semester: 1 October to 15 November of the previous calendar year
- An application to a master's programme is already possible even if you have not completed your current programme of study at the time of application, but have acquired at least 150 credit points in a related bachelor's programme.
- You can only apply during the application periods. If you wish to apply for the degree programme, you have to fill in the online application form, print it and finally send it together with all necessary documents by mail to the Service Centre for Students of the Faculty of Business and Economics. You will find the online application form and more detailed information on the application and admission procedure under Application and Admission.
The application deadlines (see above) are also valid for international applicants and also international applicants have to fill in the online form. Please note that the application form is only available during the call for application periods!
The following points are evaluated in the pre-selection procedure:
- final grade of the bachelor's degree (or the comparable university degree)
- CV and letter of motivation (proof of special interest in development field)
- sound knowledge of economic theory documented by a corresponding specialisation and performance in the programme, on which application is based.
Suitable candidates may be invited to a selection interview, if not already admitted based on their application material alone. This interview will be held online (skype) in case of international applicants. German residents will be scheduled during the so-called "application day" and have to appear in person. The admission committee will inform the applicants of the selection process results in writing.
For an overview of the particular modules offered please click here.
German applicants and foreign citizens holding a German undergraduate degree must study abroad for one semester (or alternatively do field work abroad leading to their thesis). This semester can be spent at one of our numerous partner universities. Students may apply for the following programmes:
- Exchange programme with the Stellenbosch University, South Africa, funded by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) or with the University of Pretoria
- Exchange programme with universities in Latin and South America (e.g. Colombia, Brazil, Mexico, Paraguay, El Salvador)
- Exchange programme with the Sir Arthur Lewis Institute of Social and Economic Studies (SALISES), University of the West Indies
- Exchange programme with universities in Asia and Australia (for example China - funded by the DAAD, India, Indonesia, and South Korea)
- European Exchange Programme ERASMUS
- or alternatively any other university abroad which is part of the University of Göttingen international network
For questions and/ or applications please contact the "Foreign Affairs" team of the Service Centre for Students.
The following description gives an overview of the structure of the Master's Programme in Development Economics:
- government and aid agencies working on development issues,
- international organizations such as the World Bank, organizations of the UN system (e.g. ILO, FAO, UNIDO, UNDP, UNICEF, UNESCO, etc.), the OECD, EU, or regional development banks,
- policy research institutions such as those of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research as well as national and international development policy think tanks,
- international business in multinational companies,
- further education at the Ph.D. level in Göttingen or abroad.
- Double degree programme in cooperation with Stellenbosch University: The programme offers students the opportunity to earn both a Master of Arts (MA) in Development Economics from the University of Göttingen Faculty of Business and Economics, and a Master of Commerce in Economics (MComm) offered by the University of Stellenbosch: More Information
- Double degree programme in cooperation with the University of Florence: The programme offers students the opportunity to earn both a Master of Arts (MA) in Development Economics from the University of Göttingen Faculty of Business and Economics, and a Master of Economics and Development (MSc) offered by the University of Florence School of Economics and Management: More Information
Funded through this programme, the University of Göttingen offers 7-8 scholarships each year for students from developing countries. The scholarship consists of monthly payments o €750, full insurance coverage, and travel allowance as well as an intensive German language course prior to the programme start. Furthermore, students with children can apply for additional funds to secure their living expenses. Please note that as an EPOS scholarship holder you can only start the programme in the winter term (October) of each year and applications are only possible from October 1 through November 15 of the previous year:
- DAAD EPOS Scholarship - Overview
- About DAAD EPOS Scholarship
- Am I eligible for an EPOS scholarship?
- How to apply
- EPOS: Required application documents
APPLICATION FORM - Please note that the application form is only available during the call for application periods