Should I live in student dorms or in a private apartment?

Both universities offer affordable housing where most international and visiting students stay. While staying at a student dorm is easier for the transition and adjustment period, you can also decide to move to a private apartment. You need to consider that private apartments are usually unfurnished, the main reason why international students stay at the student dorms.
As international Bachelor or Master Student you can apply at the Studentenwerk for a room in their halls of residence. The following website offers information about the different halls and the application process:

Due to an increase in student numbers, there is a high demand for student rooms in Göttingen this year and therefore, the competition for rooms is quite high.
We strongly recommend that you have a look on the private housing market. Please find below a list of websites for accommodation search in Göttingen: (this website will provide the basic information in English as well)

Also our website ( offers some helpful advice on this topic.
In Witzenhausen you can also get information about affordable student accommodation and assistance to find a private apartment here: and you may also have a look here: (in German) where you might often find offers in English too.