Dr. Lisa Jäckering
Lisa Jäckering was a GlobalFood member between 2015 and 2019. She was working in the associated project ADDA - Agricultural and Dietary Diversity in Africa under the supervision of Prof. Meike Wollni and Prof. Matin Qaim. After defending her PhD thesis in May 2018, she was a GlobalFood Postdoctoral Researcher. Her empirical work focuses on how farmers learn from each other and from experts about new agricultural technologies, and how to design nutrition-sensitive projects.
Lisa specialized on collecting household data and implementing randomized controlled trials (RCTs) in Kenya and Côte d’Ivoire, in cooperation with World Agroforestry (ICRAF). Lisa greatly enjoys fieldwork and combines qualitative and quantitative research tools. Lisa joined IFAD’s research and impact assessment division in late 2019. Before embarking a career as an Agricultural Economist, Lisa completed a bachelor’s and master’s degree in Agricultural Science from the University of Hohenheim (Germany).
- Food and nutrition security
- Agricultural extension
- Randomized controlled trials (RCTs)
- Nutrition-sensitive agriculture
- Social networks analysis
[Chair of Environmental and Resource Economics; Chair of International Food Economics and Rural Development;
Supervisor: Prof. Meike Wollni, Prof. Matin Qaim; GlobalFood Subproject: ADDA]
- Doctoral Thesis: “Communication Networks and Nutrition-sensitive Extension in Rural Kenya: Essays on Centrality, Network Effects and Technology Adoption”, supervised by Prof. Meike Wollni & Prof. Matin Qaim (University of Goettingen) 10/12-03/15 University of Hohenheim, Germany: Agricultural Economics (M. Sc.)
- Master Thesis: “Poverty alleviation with help from the candy tree? A value chain analysis of baobab products in Kenya”, supervised by Prof. Regina Birner (University of Hohenheim) & Dr Katja Kehlenbeck (ICRAF, Nairobi) 10/08-09/12 University of Hohenheim, Germany: Agricultural Science (B.Sc.)
- Bachelor Thesis: “Urban agriculture: Possibilities and limits“, supervised by Prof. Harald Grethe & Dr Edda Thiele (University of Hohenheim)
03/15-05/18 University of Goettingen, Germany: Agricultural Economics: Ph.D. candidate
- Since 09/19: International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), Rome, Italy: Post-doctoral researcher at the Research and Impact Assessment Division (RIA)
- 06/18-09/19: University of Goettingen, Germany: Post-doctoral researcher at GlobalFood research training group (Prof. Matin Qaim)
- 03/15- 05/18: University of Goettingen, Germany: Research associate at the Chair for Environmental and Resource Economics (Prof. Meike Wollni)
- 04/14 - 10/14: World Agroforestry Center, Nairobi, Kenya: Research assistant & GIZ/BEAF scholarship in the IFAD funded "Fruit Project"
- Jäckering, L., Gödecke, T., & Wollni, M. (2019). Agriculture–nutrition linkages in farmers’ communication networks. Agricultural Economics, 50(5), 657-672.
- Jäckering, L., Fischer, S., & Kehlenbeck, K. (2019). A value chain analysis of baobab (Adansonia digitata L.) products in Eastern and Coastal Kenya. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics (JARTS), 120(1), 91-104.
- Ogutu, S. O., Fongar, A., Gödecke, T., Jäckering, L., Mwololo, H., Njuguna, M., Wollni, M. & Qaim, M. (2019). How to make farming and agricultural extension more nutrition-sensitive: evidence from a randomised controlled trial in Kenya. European Review of Agricultural Economics.
- Jäckering, L., Garbero, A. (2020). The potential of agricultural programs for improving dietary diversity and food security: A global perspective. Working Paper.
- Jäckering, L., Meemken, E.-M., Sellare, J. & Qaim, M. (2020). Spoken words fly away, written words remain: Employment contracts between farm workers and farmers. GlobalFood Discussion Paper 143, University of Goettingen. http://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/213486.html. Under revision: American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- Jäckering, L., Gödecke, T., Wollni, M. (2019). Do agricultural interventions influence network formation? Insights from a randomized experiment in Kenya. Under revision: World Development.
- Mbugua, m., Jäckering, L., Muange, E., Nkirote, C., Njuguna, M., Nzuma, J. (2019): Effect of Social Networks on Household Dietary Diversity: Evidence from Smallholder Farmers in Kenya. Working paper.
Outreach and science communication
Jäckering, L. Video (2019). GlobalFood: Learning in groups fuels technology adoption. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyW3PUiuKeg
Jäckering, L.., Fongar, A., Gödecke, T., Ogutu, S., Wollni, M., Qaim, M. (2018). Wechselwirkungen zwischen Landwirtschaft und Ernährung im Kleinbauernsektor Afrikas. Ernährung im Fokus, 07-08.2018
German, English, French