Dr. Denise Hörner was a GlobalFood member from 2016-2020. The information on this site reflects the status at the point of leaving GlobalFood.
Research Associate at the Chair for Environmental and Resource Economics, University of Göttingen
Previous Field of Research
The Role of Extension and Information in the Adoption of Sustainable Soil Management Practices in Ethiopia
[Chair of Environmental and Resource Economics, Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Meike Wollni,
Global Food Subproject: D2 ]
- Impact evaluation of policies and development interventions, experimental and quasi-experimental methods, randomized controlled trials
- Rural development, sustainable agriculture, food security, technology adoption, agricultural extension
- Financial inclusion
- 06/2016 – 05/2020 Doctoral Studies in Agricultural Economics, Georg-August-University Goettingen, RTG1666 GlobalFood (First supervisor: Prof. Dr. Meike Wollni)
Thesis: “The Role of Extension and Sustainable Soil Management in Smallholder Agriculture – Evidence from Ethiopia”
- 10/2012 - 03/2015 MA Development Economics & International Studies, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
Thesis: "The Impact of Community-Based Microfinance – Evidence from Ecuador"
- 07/2010 - 12/2010 Exchange semester Universidad Católica del Uruguay, Montevideo
- 10/2008 - 03/2012 BA Socioeconomics, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
Thesis: "Determinants of the Willingness-to-Pay for Fair Trade Products"
- Since 06/2016
Chair for Environmental and Resource Economics (Prof. Dr. Meike Wollni), Department for Agricultural Economics and Rural Development , Georg-August-University Goettingen, Research Associate
- 12/2018 – 07/2019
German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ), ISFM+ Project Ethiopia, Consultant for project impact evaluation
- 04/2015 – 04/2016
Oikocredit Support Association Bavaria e. V., Nuremberg, Officer for development education and communications; team assistant
- 01/2015 – 10/2015 Department of Family, Youth and Social Issues in the City of Nuremberg, Freelancer
- 07/2014 – 10/2014
Naturaleza y Cultura Internacional, Loja/Ecuador, Research internship (including field research for Master thesis)
- 07/2012 – 10/2012 AFOS Foundation for Entrepreneurial Development Cooperation, Butuan City/Philippines, “Market Integration of Small-Scale Farmers in the Caraga Region”, Research internship
- 2011 – 2015 Various internships:
Oikocredit Support Association Bavaria e. V., Nuremberg (Development Education and Communications)
Glore – your globally responsible fashion store, Nuremberg
Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, Nuremberg (Field II: Empirical Social Research)
- 2009 – 2015 Various positions as student research assistant at FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg:
Research Institute for Cooperative Systems
Chair for International Business and Society Relations, esp. Latin America
Chair for Sociology and Empirical Social Research
Chair for Empirical Economic Sociology
- Hörner, D., Bouguen, A., Frölich, M. & Wollni, M. (2019). The effects of decentralized and video-based extension on the adoption of Integrated Soil Fertility Management – Experimental evidence from Ethiopia. NBER Working Paper No. 26052. Cambridge/MA: National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hörner, D. (2019). GlobalFood: How do farmers learn best about sustainable farming? Science communication video. University of Goettingen/Germany. link.
- Hörner, D. (2020). The Role of Extension and Sustainable Soil Management in Smallholder Agriculture – Evidence from Ethiopia. Doctoral Dissertation. University of Goettingen/Germany.
- Hörner, D. & Wollni, M. (2020). Does Integrated Soil Fertility Management increase returns to land and labor? GlobalFood Discussion Paper No. 141. https://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/document/download/00346ff2593995920e488601de761169.pdf/GlobalFood_DP141.pdf. Revise & resubmit in Agricultural Economics.
- Hörner, D. & Wollni, M. (2020). The effects of Integrated Soil Fertility Management on household welfare in Ethiopia. GlobalFood Discussion Paper No. 142. https://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/document/download/83a252d889480f9d5f0fff7ca80f5047.pdf/GlobalFood_DP142.pdf. Revise & resubmit in Food Policy.
- Hörner, D., Bouguen, A., Frölich, M. & Wollni, M. Knowledge and adoption of complex agricultural technologies – Evidence from an extension experiment. Revise & resubmit in The World Bank Economic Review.
Link to CV