Dr. Liza von Grafenstein was a GlobalFood member from 2017-2020. The information on this site reflects the status at the point of leaving GlobalFood.
Liza von Grafenstein
Current Field of Research
Agricultural Commercialization and Gender
[Chair of Development Economics, Supervisor: Prof. Stephan Klasen/ Prof. Dr. Sebastian Vollmer, Global Food Subproject D3 ]
- Causes of Food Insecurity and Undernutrition
- Intra-Household Resource Allocation
- Public Health
- Development Economics
- 06/2017-06/2020: Ph.D. (Dr. rer. pol.) in Economics, Georg-August University, Research Training Group 1666: GlobalFood & Research Centre ’Poverty, Equity and Growth’, Göttingen, Germany
Thesis Title: Determinants of Child Development in India
- 08/2015 - 05/2017 Master of Public Administration in Public Affairs, Cornell University, US
Thesis: Female Empowerment and Intra-Household Nutritional Status in Rural Bangladesh
- 07/2012 - 06/2013 Student Exchange, German Academic Exchange Association (DAAD), Miranda House College, Delhi University, New Delhi, India
- 09/2010 - 06/2014 Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and South Asian Studies, Ruprecht-Karls University Heidelberg, Germany
- Von Grafenstein, L. Determinants of Child Development in India. Diss. Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, 2020. download
- Barros, L., von Grafenstein, L., Grosse, M., Khan, S., Lenel, F., Orozco Garcia, T., Pérez-Alvarez, M., Santos Silva, M., Schupp, C. and Strulik, H. (2020): The Multidimensional Stephan Klasen Exposure Index: Why Wonder Woman Should Become a Postdoc and Wear White Socks with Sandals. CRC-PEG Discussion Papers: 272. Retrieved July 2, 2020, from Courant Research Centre ’Poverty, Equity and Growth’ website: www2.vwl.wiso.uni-goettingen.de/courant-papers/CRC-PEG_DP_272.pdf
- Von Grafenstein L (2017): Female Empowerment and Intra-Household Nutritional Status in Rural Bangladesh (Cornell University). Retrieved from from https://ecommons.cornell.edu/handle/1813/54755
- Von Grafenstein L (2017, February 21): Misleading Incentives - South Asian Farmers' Use of Fertilizer. In: Cornell Policy Review. Retrieved February 25, 2017, from http://www.cornellpolicyreview.com/misleading-incentives-south-asian-farmers-use-of-fertilizer/
- Von Grafenstein, L., Tangürek, H. A. Â., & Wang, Z. (2016): Final Report: Quality of USAID Education Sector Evaluations between 2011 and 2015. Retrieved August 31, 2016, from http://fedcafe.net/app/item/247
- Von Grafenstein, L. (2014): India (Sikhs/DSS). In: Heidelberg Institute for International Conflict Research (ed.): Conflict Barometer 2013. Heidelberg: p 108
- Von Grafenstein, L. (2013): India (Sikhs/Punjab). In: Heidelberg Institute for International Conflict Research (ed.): Conflict Barometer 2012. Heidelberg: p 84
- Von Grafenstein, L.(2012): India (Sikhs/Punjab). In: Heidelberg Institute for International Conflict Research (ed.): Conflict Barometer 2011. Heidelberg: p 75-76
- 10/2020: Oral Presenter (Scheduled but postponed). “Why are Indian Children So Short?" - Replication and Extension. At U4Society Social Sciences, Economics and Law Conference on “Social Responsibility in Challenging Times" by U4 Society Network: University of Tartu, Estonia.
- 09/2020: Oral Presenter. Long-Term Double Fortied Salt Usage for Health and Human Capital Acquisition of School Children in Rural Bihar. At “Delivering for Nutrition in India: Insights from Implementation Research" organized by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI): Virtual Conference.
- 04/2020: (Scheduled but cancelled): Selected Oral Presenter.Double Fortied Salt Usage for Health and Human Capital Acquisition of School Children in Rural Bihar. At GlobalFood Symposium 2020 of RTG 1666: Transformation of Global Agri-Food Systems: Göttingen, Germany.
- 12/2019: Oral Presenter. "Why are Indian Children So Short?" - Replication and Extension. At 15th Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development of the Indian Statistical Institute: Delhi, India.
- 10/2016: Presenter in Panel Discussion.Assessing Evaluation Quality: A Performance Audit of USAID Evaluations in the Education Sector after 2011. At American Evaluation Association conference, Evaluation 2016: Atlanta, Georgia, US.
- 07/2020 - date: Postdoctoral Researcher in Economics at Georg-August University, Research Training Group 1666: GlobalFood & Research Centre ’Poverty, Equity and Growth’, Göttingen, Germany
- 08/2016 - 05/2017: Graduate Research Assistant Public Health at Cornell Institute of Public Affairs, Ithaca, US
- 05/2016 - 07/2016: Internship at IFPRI-Bangladesh Policy Research & Strategy Support Program (PRSSP), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 02/2016 - 05/2016: Graduate Assistant Support for Statistical Analyses at Office of Academic Diversity Initiatives, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 01/2016 - 05/2016: Graduate Assistant for Well-Being Research Project Grant at Center for Teaching Excellence, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 11/2014 - 01/2015: Internship at Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 10/2011 - 08/2012: Student Assistant Public Health at Institute of Political Science, Heidelberg University, Heidelberg, Germany